Wife said "Merry Christmas, buy the smoker you want!" 22.5" WSM, Come to Papa!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
My wife and I are at the age where "more stuff" is not what we need to be opening at Christmas.  Consequently she decided we weren't going to get each other anything for Christmas this year, just the little stuff we'd picked up during the year and stashed away.  Well, I'd already bought her something she's been wanting for a long time so I had to break the news that her plan wasn't going to work this year.  She figured out right away what it was I bought her and then the guilt started in her mind.  "What do you want?  You haven't said anything.  I haven't gotten you anything."  Yada yada yada non-stop.  I kept telling her with a patient smile I really didn't want anything.  Really, I didn't.  I was happy just to spend the time with her and the kids when they visited and smoke whatever they requested.  They'd already put their BBQ orders for their Christmas visit.  They both want ribs and salmon.  In spite of all my reassurances every day my wife asked "did you think of something?"  "Nope."  And she'd get all quiet.

So we're each getting ready for work this past Monday and I'm talking about the sweet potato pies I was going to bake (#s 3, 4, and 5 are the oven as I type this) plus how I'm going to brine the turkey this year then smoke it on the Weber Kettle.  She turns to me with a big smile and says "If you could get any smoker you wanted, what would you buy?"  I thought I was absolutely happy smoking on the decades old 18.5" and 22.5" Weber Kettles I have in the backyard.  Then I started thinking about her question.  All kinds of stick burners ran through my head but I kept coming back to the WSM.  I got excited.  Then I started debating out loud whether the 18.5" or the 22.5" is what I wanted.  After all it's just her and I so the 18.5" seemed plenty big enough.  Then I thought about our kids visiting, the in-laws visiting, recent parties, and the kidlets our daughters will surely have in the next few years.  Everyone I know loves BBQ!  I'm sure the future grandkidlets will too!  The 22.5" zoomed to the top of the list.

Now I can't wait to order the WSM!  Next week one will be in house, but then she's going to torture me with it!  She says I can't smoke with it or even put it together until Christmas!  ARGGGGHHHHH!  That my friends is the joy of giving and the agony of the Q!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Merry Christmas if you don't read this until Friday!

If you can, be sure to share your blessings!

Last edited:
Remind her that if she wants some goodies from the new smoker for Xmas, it will need to be broke in and a little practice with it to be sure its right......
sausage.gif
yahoo.gif

Brad

Woot! Grats on a great smoker and a guilt ridden wife! lol

You will love the 22.5" WSM it just plain works without any issues. Now about the waiting till Christmas thing...hmmmmm....
hissyfit.gif

Yes Sir a lucky man. I note the avatar, Thank you for your service and the years you missed the holidays!

Have a Happy Happy and Bravo Zulu Sir.
Why thank you FH!  That was unexpected and very much appreciated.  Thanksgiving in Mombasa, Christmas in the IO, New Years on Diego Garcia leaves a lot to be desired but it just becomes a part of one's life adventure.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.  And yessireebob she's been a keeper for more than 33 years.  Heck, she had a root canal this morning then she even volunteered to cut up the 17 lb turkey I smoked today to pull out the parts we'll use for soup!  Had to smoke it today on the Weber Kettle due to schedule issues but dreams of the WSM were dancing in my head.

Skin was a little dark but it was crispy and delicious.  Brined with apple cider, garlic infused chicken stock, water, kosher salt, agave sweetener, and off the shelf seasonings (Chef Prudhomme's Poultry Magic).  Once brined it was then coated on and under the skin with a cup of melted butter and a jar of Litehouse Poultry Seasoning mixed in the butter.  Came out juicy and flavorful!

May your smiles be contagious and your turkeys all come out PERFECT!

The new 22.5" WSM will be here Wednesday!  I have convinced my wife I need to open it to see if it is the 2014 model with the temperature probe grommet.  Of course I'll need to assemble it to make sure all the pieces are there.  Then I'll need to fire it up to make sure it is manufactured correctly and not out of round.  While fired up might as well smoke something to begin the seasoning process.  Small steps.  Small steps. 

Good fortune could be defined as a great wife and a smoker. Congratulations on both!

Disco

Hmmmmm, what's up first?  I actually don't think she's going to let me smoke anything until after Christmas, but I'll give it the old college try.  Gonna start a batch of Canadian Bacon curing tonight, eh.  That will either go on the WSM or the Kettle this Saturday depending on my skills of persuasion. 

My wife and I are at the age where "more stuff" is not what we need to be opening at Christmas.  Consequently she decided we weren't going to get each other anything for Christmas this year, just the little stuff we'd picked up during the year and stashed away.  Well, I'd already bought her something she's been wanting for a long time so I had to break the news that her plan wasn't going to work this year.  She figured out right away what it was I bought her and then the guilt started in her mind.  "What do you want?  You haven't said anything.  I haven't gotten you anything."  Yada yada yada non-stop.  I kept telling her with a patient smile I really didn't want anything.  Really, I didn't.  I was happy just to spend the time with her and the kids when they visited and smoke whatever they requested.  They'd already put their BBQ orders for their Christmas visit.  They both want ribs and salmon.  In spite of all my reassurances every day my wife asked "did you think of something?"  "Nope."  And she'd get all quiet.

So we're each getting ready for work this past Monday and I'm talking about the sweet potato pies I was going to bake (#s 3, 4, and 5 are the oven as I type this) plus how I'm going to brine the turkey this year then smoke it on the Weber Kettle.  She turns to me with a big smile and says "If you could get any smoker you wanted, what would you buy?"  I thought I was absolutely happy smoking on the decades old 18.5" and 22.5" Weber Kettles I have in the backyard.  Then I started thinking about her question.  All kinds of stick burners ran through my head but I kept coming back to the WSM.  I got excited.  Then I started debating out loud whether the 18.5" or the 22.5" is what I wanted.  After all it's just her and I so the 18.5" seemed plenty big enough.  Then I thought about our kids visiting, the in-laws visiting, recent parties, and the kidlets our daughters will surely have in the next few years.  Everyone I know loves BBQ!  I'm sure the future grandkidlets will too!  The 22.5" zoomed to the top of the list.

Now I can't wait to order the WSM!  Next week one will be in house, but then she's going to torture me with it!  She says I can't smoke with it or even put it together until Christmas!  ARGGGGHHHHH!  That my friends is the joy of giving and the agony of the Q!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Merry Christmas if you don't read this until Friday!

If you can, be sure to share your blessings!
Congrats to both of you....and Merry Christmas!!!

Ahhh, finally put the WSM together today.  Everything fits beautifully except the fuel door.  It arrived damaged beyond the point of use.  It is bent (crushed) at the latch so there is a 1/2" gap on both sides of the door at the top.  Sent Weber a nice e-mail with pictures.  I don't anticipate any problems at all.  Just have to wait a little longer before the new WSM is smoking meat.

Was able to bend the door into a relatively usable form until a replacement arrives.  Gap is only 1/8"-1/4" now all along the top of the door.  The good news?  Weber has already shipped a replacement!  THAT my friends, is service and just another reason why I love my Weber.

The smoker is seasoning as I type.  Door leaks like crazy but that will be remedied soon enough.  Looking forward to mastering this shiny black beauty!

OOoooh, FH, haven't thought about naming "her!"  On a half load of charcoal, may a little less, "she's" been dry burning beautifully for 8 hours and still going.  Ran her up to 350 then closed her down quite a bit to let the temp slowly decrease to get a good feel for the temp differences between the grates and the lid.  She's only at 240 at the lid, 250 at the top grate, 260 lower grate.  The temp difference increases at higher temps with the lid always showing the lowest temp of the three.  That was actually counterintuitive to what I expected.  I am impressed though with the stability of the temps.  It truly is a set and forget.

Will most likely "christen" her tomorrow with a load of shoulders or butts I can pull, vacuum pack, then freeze to give to family for the holidays.  She's running hotter due to the leaky door but I'll do the pork cuts at 275 so it won't be a problem.  This sure has been a fun day of learning!

Last edited:
BETTER than Christmas!  Got to play with my toys four days early!  Woo hoo!  Just stretching Christmas to the max!

Wow, she went 12+ hours before dropping below 225 on the lower grate!  Outside temp in the 60s during the day.  40's at night.  Only stirred the coals twice and didn't add any more fuel while seasoning.  The last time I stirred the coals at 10 hours there was basically nothing left.  Temp spiked to 260 for a while then slowly started coming down.  I couldn't believe it was still at 225 on the lower grate when I woke up at 2 AM.  Woke up at 4 AM and the temp read in the 90s.  On half (or a little less) a load of charcoal THAT was simply amazing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky