Wife is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Made the round trip in and out of Chi-town yesterday, put the wife on a plane to Idaho for 2 weeks. I ain't seen that much traffic since I left the Bay Area. Being home all alone, except for the horses, cats, dogs, parrots and 3 tanks of Koi, I've decided to catch-up on my smoking tomorrow and I'll start with a 9# Butt, 4# pork loin, couple of beer-can chickens, 2 chunks of beef and 7 blocks of assorted chesses. Even warned the fire chief that I'd be using both smokers and the smoke was going to be rolling out of the garage because of a good chance of rain. The only problem is I just can't decide on what to have for supper tomorrow nite. But that's a good problem to have. Heck, I might even put together a pan of beans tonite. Even got a new 5&1/2 qt Dutch oven I ain't used yet.View attachment 393436

Awesome display. Pics when finished please.

Reactions: martin1950
20190423_021327.jpg
Awesome display. Pics when finished please.
Sorry Big Turtle, when I get a couple plates "Q" w/ mashed taters and pan fried gravy or bacon covered cheezy fries, it's hard to STOP and take a picture. Unless you want a pic of a greasy empty plate sitting on my bloated stomach and strained notches in my belt. LOL. Take my word for it, nobody wants to see that!!

Bob, thanks for the offer but this was a "cook" to test my organizational skills timewise between 2 smokers and a stove top and all the other things I have to do around here daily, plus her daily chores. BTW, those roads north of you are the worst roads I've seen.

View attachment 393976

IMG_20190422_183018300.jpg
I underwent the roto rooter seeing eye snake gastro intestinal exploration yesterday morning so I'd had no solid food for two days and once the anesthesia effects wore off yesterday I was hungry but I did grab the camera. Oh, used the small unit for this.

Well after 11 hours of running to and from the garage tending 2 smokers and a meat slicer, EVERYTHING is done. Not only that but everything is sliced, pulled, sectionalized, bagged and tag and the kitchen and slicer and pans are all clean. Made a few oop's but they were minor. All I'm doing tomorrow is dicing some potatoes and putting the hash together. And I even got some PP to my farmer neighbor as a thank you in time for supper. Now if I starve to death in the next two weeks it's only because I broke both legs and can't get to my freezer.

hb99, funny, I was trained at Ft. Lee VA. yeah, on an Army base. I'm sorry if my opening sentence confused ya, nah!!

Martin
View attachment 393545 View attachment 393546 View attachment 393547 View attachment 393548 View attachment 393549 View attachment 393550 View attachment 393551 View attachment 393552 View attachment 393553
That explains the mess hall trays.

That explains the mess hall trays.
:emoji_wink:

Almost 20 years ago our #2 son and his bride asked us to cater the wedding party dinner for his college "brothers" and her college "sisters" at his in-laws home, about 200 in all. Their menu was simple, Old style Sunday afternoon family BBQ with oven baked chicken, assorted grilled chicken, cheezy mashed taters w/ pan fried bacon gravy, BBQ style beans, momma's kick-butt tater salad, oven baked mac & cheese, smoked salmon steaks w/ assorted cheeses and crackers and fresh grilled-on-the spot salmon steaks, and burgers and franks for the kids. And a special gift to his future In-Laws of some cold-smoked salmon caviar. Her parents put up every thing that was green or yellow.
The only place I knew of that could supply all the pots and pans for this little "cook" was Gordon Food Service, hence the mess hall style trays. But YES, I still have a couple of knives, an 16" steel, a 3 sided oil stone and of course my supervisors coffee mug from my days in the mess hall over 40 years ago.
A big thanks to all that have left comments and likes on this long running and long winded thread.

I've been down that same road. Started with an old fuel oil barrel cooker, then a second one. Bought what I needed as I could afford it. I just bought several NSF long spatulas at a flea market dirt cheap. Restaurants close up frequently so there's a plenty available. My Pappy was an old Seargent did 21 years in uniform, Korea and Vietnam vet and now an Arlington honoree. I meant no ill will. Mess hall trays were metal in my youth. We were taken to the mess hall by Dad as an indoctrination I think. These things make our country great, and I thank you and EVERY veteran for your service and dedication to country and our collective freedom. God Bless and smoke on.

Well after 11 hours of running to and from the garage tending 2 smokers and a meat slicer, EVERYTHING is done. Not only that but everything is sliced, pulled, sectionalized, bagged and tag and the kitchen and slicer and pans are all clean. Made a few oop's but they were minor. All I'm doing tomorrow is dicing some potatoes and putting the hash together. And I even got some PP to my farmer neighbor as a thank you in time for supper. Now if I starve to death in the next two weeks it's only because I broke both legs and can't get to my freezer.

hb99, funny, I was trained at Ft. Lee VA. yeah, on an Army base. I'm sorry if my opening sentence confused ya, nah!!

Martin

I've been to ALMC (Army Logistics Management College) at Ft. Lee about a dozen times. Not a bad post per se considering what's outside the gates. ; ' )

Don't know about now-days, I was there way back in 1968. The only thing I remember about cooking was the perpetual soup. What ever was left-over, it went into the pot. It lasted longer than the Energizer Bunny.:emoji_laughing:

Reactions: Plinsc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky