Why you never leave smoker unattended

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 14, 2014
Northeast pa
Had a day off today so decided to do some ribs during the snow storm, put them on pellet smoker at 7:00 am everything was fine until 10:30, checking my temps smoker was at 105 was running at 250, so went out and checked and it seems I had a auger fire going on, not sure what caused it, never happened before but smoke pouring out of pellet hopper so I got that emptied. Will have to tear it apart another day. Good news though I saved the ribs and am finishing in oven. Think I will stick to my mes 30.
20220312_075417.jpg
20220312_104252.jpg

Nice save on the ribs and really glad it didn't turn into a major catastrophe!

Ryan

Jim , glad you caught it . I don't walk away from any of them , especially the pellet .
I had mine come unplugged the other day when I rolled it out of the rain . Luckily it was running low enough it didn't cause an issue .

Well heck Jim, you caught it just in time, and the ribs seem to have a nice char on them! As often as I was tempted in the past I never took the pellet pooper plunge and most likely never will, too many variables. RAY

Is that the Pitboss 1000 that's in your signature? I'm not familiar with that brand or model but others with the same make & model sure might benefit from this info.

Is that the Pitboss 1000 that's in your signature? I'm not familiar with that brand or model but others with the same make & model sure might benefit from this info.
Yes, have it about 3 or 4 years now with no issues, ya just never know!

Reactions: chopsaw
I wonder if you had a pellet get stuck in the auger and then broke free causing a pileup of pellets. Anyway good catch and save. I never leave my smokers alone. To many wild critters around here that could knock the smoker or grill over to steal the meat.

Chris

Well heck Jim, you caught it just in time, and the ribs seem to have a nice char on them! As often as I was tempted in the past I never took the pellet pooper plunge and most likely never will, too many variables. RAY
yep this will probably my first and last pellet other then the variables never thought the smoke flavor was that great even with the smoke tube.

smokerjim smokerjim

Don't know if you own an air compressor or not, but, if you do, use it after your smoker has cooled down and blow the compressed air through both ends of the auger tube. Then run the auger to free any pellets that may have gotten stuck. I do it all the time. Completely clears the auger tube and eliminates any auger tube fires. A strong leaf blower works as well.

I hope this helps,

John

Power went off while i was taking a nap last week, was down to 150 when i woke up, caused a 45 minute delay in game lol

smokerjim smokerjim

Don't know if you own an air compressor or not, but, if you do, use it after your smoker has cooled down and blow the compressed air through both ends of the auger tube. Then run the auger to free any pellets that may have gotten stuck. I do it all the time. Completely clears the auger tube and eliminates any auger tube fires. A strong leaf blower works as well.

I hope this helps,

John
I dont have either but see where that would help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky