Why Toss & Turn?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the recipe for the buns. I will definitely try them. Have a great day!!

Work the dough five minutes instead of ten, makes the buns quite a bit softer. Maybe we'll see up at Flaming Gorge if the Buckboard GC is open by mid-June, we're there every year. RAY

I reckon you're talking about making some Hipshot burgers John. I leave out the nutmeg because I don't much care for the flavor it imparts on anything, just not a nutmeg fan. I went back in time (2012) and found a conversation I was having with CW in regard to a 20lb. batch.
"12 pounds chuck roast (ground)
8 pounds porkbutt (ground)
3/4 cup soy protein concentrate
4 tbsp. powdered dextrose
6 tbsp. canning salt
4 tbsp. black pepper
2 tsp coriander
2 cups whole milk (ice cold)
I choose to leave out the nutmeg that the original recipe calls for."

I've made it with the coriander and without, can't really tell the difference much, two teaspoons of that stuff isn't going to show up much in 20 pounds of ground meat. I have no idea what effect getting ground meat from the store will have on the recipe. I've used chuck and sirloin roasts, tritip, and London broil, just about any kind of beef that was cheap at the time I was ready to grind. The porkbutt is where the bulk of the fat would be coming from. I guess if you went to some custom, butcher shop the guy would grind you some porkbutt, but then you'd be paying premium price for it too. Think of getting yourself grinder. You don't need a bunch of expensive commercial-grade equipment like I've acquired to get started. Here's one that'll do the job and even comes with stuffing tubes that will have you on your way to making your own sausage. Once you have a grinder you are in complete control of what you're making rather than relying on what a butcher ran thru his. Give it some thought, lot of bang for your buck for a C-note. RAY

Hey Ray, how come you don't add coriander or nutmeg like chuckwagon did? Thinking of trying to make some with ground stuff from the store as I do not have a grinder. John

CW's real name was Barry Byner and he was the one who turned on the light about sausage making and meat smoking for me. We became pretty good friends over the years and I actually went to his house one day high up in the Rockies, he was in poor health and didn't last long after that. I still miss him, the man was a genius and master in all things regarding sausage making and meat smoking. RAY

I reckon you're talking about making some Hipshot burgers John. I leave out the nutmeg because I don't much care for the flavor it imparts on anything, just not a nutmeg fan. I went back in time (2012) and found a conversation I was having with CW in regard to a 20lb. batch.
"12 pounds chuck roast (ground)
8 pounds porkbutt (ground)
3/4 cup soy protein concentrate
4 tbsp. powdered dextrose
6 tbsp. canning salt
4 tbsp. black pepper
2 tsp coriander
2 cups whole milk (ice cold)
I choose to leave out the nutmeg that the original recipe calls for."

I've made it with the coriander and without, can't really tell the difference much, two teaspoons of that stuff isn't going to show up much in 20 pounds of ground meat. I have no idea what effect getting ground meat from the store will have on the recipe. I've used chuck and sirloin roasts, tritip, and London broil, just about any kind of beef that was cheap at the time I was ready to grind. The porkbutt is where the bulk of the fat would be coming from. I guess if you went to some custom, butcher shop the guy would grind you some porkbutt, but then you'd be paying premium price for it too. Think of getting yourself grinder. You don't need a bunch of expensive commercial-grade equipment like I've acquired to get started. Here's one that'll do the job and even comes with stuffing tubes that will have you on your way to making your own sausage. Once you have a grinder you are in complete control of what you're making rather than relying on what a butcher ran thru his. Give it some thought, lot of bang for your buck for a C-note. RAY

Yes that's the thread I found earlier, and noticed you left the nutmeg out and then compared that to the one you posted here last year and saw you dropped the coriander also.

I will think about the grinder but just wanted to give them a try in a smaller batch and use CW's original recipe. I always start with the original and then tweak in subsequent ones after that.

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky