Why oil ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

malibu1979

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Dayton Ohio
Did a search on seasoning a new smoker and Ive seen that it is suggested to oil the smoker with a light oil like Pam. However I could not find the reason as to why the oil is put on. After seasoning it, how often do I need to apply oil? Ive cleaned the inside removing any factory oil that was in there. Also is wood chips fine to season with or should I wait on a ampns ?

Thanks Jason

I don't think you ever need to Pam it again. Once you cook a couple chickens in it , it'll get oiled naturally.....and I think wood chips would be fine. It's all wood smoke.

Last edited:
It has always been my understanding that the reason for 'seasoning' something (whether it is a smoker, a cast iron frying pay, waffle iron, or similar) is to seal the surface of the metal so that moisture does not cause oxidation (rust) on the surface and to create a bit of a non-stick surface. I do not believe that it is to keep oils/toxins on the steel from getting on to the food.  Accordingly, I don't think it is necessary to season a MES since the inside is lined with stainless steel which will not oxidize and it will get covered with a sheen of oil/smoke residue anyways after a few smokes. However, it is still VERY important to run the MES empty at its highest temperature for a few hours the first time in order to burn off any oils/toxins that may still be on the inside surface from the factory. For a sheet steel or drum type smokers, it is important to season them since they are made of regular steel and will oxidize if not seasoned properly.

The above is what I understand, without any independent research or confirmation. If someone sees that I said something wrong above, please explain in a reply so that bad advice does not stand uncorrected....  

wife.gif

Last edited:
There are two reasons it has been suggested to use PAM to preseason your new MES.  1st there is a very light coating of machine oil both on the inside and outside of your new MES, spraying PAM on the inside should help burn off that residue machine oil.  2nd after the preseason is over if you used PAM you should be able to easily wipe out the inside with a damp cloth.  Inside your new MES will naturally darken with use, both smoke and meat juice residue will start to build up.  To most of us that is just a well seasoned smoker.  If that build up gets crusty or there are excessive juices from a previous smoke, simply wipe down the inside with a hot damp soapy cloth, and then rinse with hot damp cloth - no soap.

Last edited:
A different thought.

I cleaned mine first.

Then I burned it.

Then I wiped it out and let it dry.

Then I smeared good old lard everywhere.  Let it sit on the grass for a few trips before it hit the patio.

I think the reason Pam, or cooking spray is so popular is that it is easy to use and it easily reaches those nooks and crannies.

I guess fat is fat?  Then again there is that pork fat thing?

Good luck and good smoking.

There are two reasons it has been suggested to use PAM to preseason your new MES.  1st there is a very light coating of machine oil both on the inside and outside of your new MES, spraying PAM on the inside should help burn off that residue machine oil.  2nd after the preseason is over if you used PAM you should be able to easily wipe out the inside with a damp cloth.  Inside your new MES will naturally darken with use, both smoke and meat juice residue will start to build up.  To most of us that is just a well seasoned smoker.  If that build up gets crusty or there are excessive juices from a previous smoke, simply wipe down the inside with a hot damp soapy cloth, and then rinse with hot damp cloth - no soap.
As deltadude stated above the oil help prevent rust and build up of residue. See my post http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/how-to-season-or-cure-your-masterbuilt-electric-smoker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky