Why is Franklin BBQ in austin so good?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Salt lick is very good but IMHO way overrated, it is the tourist BBQ place, the Kayz deli of Texas if you will. It is also roasted on a commercial system and tossed onto the front direct heat system for an hour or two after to pick up some smoke. That said it is very good food and I go to their Driftwood location several times a year. There are a number of Central Texas places that are better however.

Reactions: preacher238
I agree with mischief, and there mustard base sauce is nothing to write home about. All in all it is decent for Austin the silver lining is that its a ways out of Austin towards wine country so you can take your woman wine tasting before or after yall go "Q tasting"

Lets see where to start. I wished the admins would make a drag and drop or highlighted section for replying with multiple quotes from other people. Ok, first Turn n Burn Thank you for correcting everyone about the brisket. BRISKET IS THE HOLY GRAIL OF BBQ! my 12 yr old second cousin can smoke a whole pig to near perfection with minimal practice but only the select few can master brisket. sorry Georgia, Carolinas, Tennessee. Texas BBQ is the best. Way to deep, if you were to try his brisket with "just salt, pepper and smoke" you would fall to your knees and shed a tear lol maybe. He uses brown butcher paper but mostly unbleached peach paper, no wax. Hambone, you said $8-$10 that's funny! I wished I could get out of that place for less than 15! Keep in mind, his brisket is $17.00lb ribs 15.00lb pulled pork 14.00lb turkey 14.00 lb and sausage 11.00 lb (also us Texans like to eat) Honestly just a combo sandwich here in Amarillo is $8.00! John is one of the pitmasters, he shows up late evening and starts the briskets/fires they currently have 5 pits (in the process of building another) Aaron is about to hire they go through on average 1500 lbs of BBQ per opening. 11am till sold out. The line as of recent count has exceeded 400 people which is why he has line attendants that count people get a rough estimate of how much meat they will order (Aaron tells them to round up because people always order more once they get to the counter) then they pass a marker to the estimated "last" person in line and tell people behind them that "Ya'll might be wasting your time, meat ends soon here (and points at the person)" I talked to my friend who said this past Saturday 7-27 he drove by and at 8am he stopped and counted almost 200 people waiting in line!  yea he uses Creekstone out of Arkansas city, KS whose meat is not only black angus prime (not actually the best tasting IMO, but definitely tied for first ...but the meat is supposedly all natural no hormones no probiotics, etc, (you know how those organic liberal Austinites are everything organic and natural) The fat on these briskets (according to Franklin in Texas Monthly interview) apparently renders better than a typical brisket. The fat will actually render better yet will take almost twice as long to smoke. The result is that "velvet" texture on a brisket most people in the world have no clue what is about. Its like heaven in your mouth. Keeping the German/Czech Central texas style is what its all about salt, pepper. low and slow smoke, steady heat, carving the brisket in front of you asking which you prefer, lean, super lean, moist, super moist, cutters choice, brisket tip, sugar cookies, burnt ends, etc. Given the fact that he is located in downtown Austin, (expensive) he buys very expensive cuts of beef, throws away the trimmings, Yes, you heard right throws away all his beef fat, beef meat from trimmings, pork skirting, and rib trimmings. (his sausage is not made in house but is made to his specs by a local market) I would say his BBQ is adequately priced for what you get (just don't go out there and expect to spend 8-10$ you may only get a few sides piece of bread and a big red! I did read another interview in texas monthly about aaron franklin going to a slaughter house to learn more about how they cut the briskets off the cow and it made him more aware of how precious the meat is so now he is considering making sausage in house with his trimmings. He also has a few beers there in Austin ya'll should check out!
Lol @ the wall of text.

Thanks for the information. So now that I know that its the cut of his meat that is drawing in people. How would this cut(Black angus prime) compare to a well marbled wagyu brisket from srf or strube?

Don't kid yourself into thinking it is the cut of brisket, unless you have mastered brisket to a very high level you're probably going to waste your money. Aaron could cook far lower quality cuts and it would be damn near as good. In fact he had a problem at one point and had to go to choice cuts for a period because of availability and nothing seemed to change, it was still amazing.

I agree with mischief. It's all about how you trim it. If you trim to much it gets dry if you don't trim enough you have fat left over which is unappealable and customers complain you are selling them fat and not beef.

yes, i agree its all about how you prep it, and your technique and experience thats going to determine the outcome. you can get a strube, or any wagyu for that matter and not know anything about it and ruin it the same as you would a choice, select or prime cut. i guarantee any cut of meat will turn to leather if you dont know what youre doing...lol.

Lol @ the wall of text.

Thanks for the information. So now that I know that its the cut of his meat that is drawing in people. How would this cut(Black angus prime) compare to a well marbled wagyu brisket from srf or strube?
Should have discussed your question too. The Black Angus choice is what I try and get a hold of when my local stores have it at a decent price. Prime would be great but I don't know if you would notice a difference between them.

IMEO, there is no difference in black angus choice and prime beef. Then again, I also realize that black angus beef is NOT the best tasting beef. Black Angus was advertised easily by the USDA to boost sales and get a prime price for a cut of beef. There are a few genetically crossed cows that will make black angus taste like pork in comparison. (Ask any rancher, or steer hand.) I have never bought wagyu or smoked it for that matter but I would bet my families land that I can make choice taste just as good!

I personally think simple is better.  You get all these wannabe BBQ joints coming up with all sorts of concoctions to slather on the Q and you end up tasting the sauce, mop, rub or whatever they overload it with instead of the beef.  A good brisket doesn't need more than some salt and pepper to be fantastic. 

Best Brisket I ever had was at Slick's BBQ in Muscogee, Ok back in the 80's.  He was an old Black man that converted a rundown house beside the road to BBQ joint and served it on wax paper and those tacky rattan paper plate holders.  The old guy had tour buses detour miles out of the way to eat there!

Yep radio. Salt and pepper is the Texan way to go (also the best way to go) if done right s&p will have people begging for more!

Arron Franklin has great technique, a ton of experience getting it done and uses great meat...BUT...Like Paula Dean, heard lots of people say the food is not very good, the Neely's BBQ Restaurants Bobby Flay's restaurants, Emeril's Restaurants and countless others that have been on DDD, A LOT of success comes from TV exposure! Various forums talk about pitmasters that has been on BBQ Pitmasters having seen a major increase in business from the exposure. Flanklin's has been on several different shows on Foodnetwork, Travel Channel and the Cooking Channel. That much exposure changes your business from locals to national and sometimes international customers. There are people that set there vacation travel plans around hitting DDD restaurants and well known BBQ Joints. I wish Mr. Franklin and all the others continued success. If I ever have another restaurant I will post a sign..." If you are not Happy tell ME! If you love the food tell FOODNETWORK, Travel Channel, The Cooking Channel and GUY FIERRI! "...
439.gif
...JJ

Reactions: coolew01
Interesting Aaron Franklin tidbit...he is married to my Uncle's granddaughter.  And I have STILL never met him, not eaten at his place! 

LOL......although one of these days, I will!!!

I think it's supply and demand. There's a shortage of supply which increases demand. He runs out so people learn to come early and stand in line. When he runs out he turns people away creating more demand. Marketing plays a significant role. Exposure on TV and on the cover of TX Monthly is key.

Says?
Just wondering myself what grade he uses. One would
Think Prime Angus.
Did he state this somewhere?
Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky