Why do so many people here use the MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Greetings:

This is my first post here.

.  However, I had written off the MES not because of the failures, but because it seemed almost impossible to repair them.  Everyone who had an element go out reported that it was not a simple plug-n-play repair and required a new cabinet housing. 
First thing First,  WELCOME aboard "low-n-slow", glad you decided to join in the Q-postin fun here at SMF.

Your observation may be accurate for the posts you read, but it is not actually the whole story.  Older MES units prior to the replaceable element models, easily could replace the element with a 3rd party element (search the internet there are several companies that sell elements that will work).  If you search SMF there are several who have replaced elements and documented the procedure with  good how to plus pics.  Of course the new models have replaceable elements, and if you shop you can get the 30" models that have that feature.   However as I pointed out, it isn't necessary to have the new replaceable version, the older version owners can easily replace the element .  Note, to replace the element on the older version requires removing the back panel by drilling out the rivets.

I have posted several times I bought my 40 " MES Sam's version, with the expectation that I would eventually replace the elements, internal wiring, and the digital control, using 3rd party sources.  The flexibility of using 3rd party components makes the MES an even better investment.  Sure there is a bit of labor involved,

Check out this thread which has links to several re-wiring and a element replacement.

I bought a Bradley Digital 6 Rack last August and have used it twice. If you want to talk about overpriced Junk lets start there.

I have it for sale on Craig's list for half of what it costs from Bradley and can't get any takers. I am also throwing in 3 boxes of pucks and 3 Bubba Pucks.

I purchased the New MES 40" from Sams with their 3 year warranty and it is an excellent smoker at half the cost of the Bradley.  I have been using it regularly and have no problems to date.  I also have started using the AMAZE-N-SMOKER with it instead of using chips.  I love both of them...

I bought a Bradley Digital 6 Rack last August and have used it twice. If you want to talk about overpriced Junk lets start there.

I have it for sale on Craig's list for half of what it costs from Bradley and can't get any takers. I am also throwing in 3 boxes of pucks and 3 Bubba Pucks.

I purchased the New MES 40" from Sams with their 3 year warranty and it is an excellent smoker at half the cost of the Bradley.  I have been using it regularly and have no problems to date.  I also have started using the AMAZE-N-SMOKER with it instead of using chips.  I love both of them...
Boy am I glad to hear that!

I thought about getting a Bradley, but the cost of pucks made me stay away from it.

I love my MES 30----I just wish it would grow up to be an MES 40.

Bearcarver

Boy am I glad to hear that!

I thought about getting a Bradley, but the cost of pucks made me stay away from it.

I love my MES 30----I just wish it would grow up to be an MES 40.

Bearcarver

If you give it time and feed it with the AMAZE-N-SMOKER it will grow, patience Grasshopper, er, I mean Bearcarver. LOL

PS: I had a great JULY 4th, a guy saw the add for my Bradley and came by yesterday and gave me $350.00 for it. WOO HOO!!!

I owned an MES a couple of years ago when they first came out. I had just gotten internet service for the first time (dial-up) and I ordered it directly through Masterbuilt's web site for $300 which included shipping. My unit heated up fairly quickly and the temp was pretty accurate from what I remember.

The only problems I had with the MES were the cheap door gasket that started to peel off right after I seasoned the smoker and the lack of smoke flavor. I would add wood chips every 45 minutes or so for the first 4-5 hours and have sweet smelling thin blue smoke throughout that time, but everything came out just tasting oven baked.

I eventually gave my MES to my brother in law and gave up on BBQ for a few years, but I never had any temp/electrical problems during the time I owned one. Other than smoke leaking out of the peeled off door gasket, I thought the unit was pretty solid and reliable for the price. I can really kick myself now though that the smoke daddy has been introduced. That combined with an MES of any size would have to be a match made in heaven.

I have had the masterbuilt unit for almost a year now.  Before that i was using the ecb, which i still use every now and again.  I would not trade it in for nothing.  Like others said I know I will have to get the wiring repaired down the road, but that's a easy fix.  The only issue i have had was the control box.  Called customer service, and a new one was at my door, plus new feet within a week.  No complaints so far.

If you give it time and feed it with the AMAZE-N-SMOKER it will grow, patience Grasshopper, er, I mean Bearcarver. LOL

PS: I had a great JULY 4th, a guy saw the add for my Bradley and came by yesterday and gave me $350.00 for it. WOO HOO!!!
Wow Paul, That guy must have had his heart set on a Bradley! You did great!

LOL, I wish that would work. I've been feeding it A-MAZE-N-SMOKE for awhile now, and I keep measuring it !

Sunday I'm going to feed it with over 11 pounds of belly & a long AMNS test (no other heat). Should be great. 

Bear

The original poster of this topic has already decided not to buy an MES and got a Smokin' Tex instead.  If the continued posts in this thread are intended for him/her, this topic should probably be closed.  If they are for anyone that may be interested in hearing about the pros/cons of the MES, then it's fine.

For my two cents, I've had the MES 40" stainless steel version for 3 years and have been very happy with it.  I think mine is 3 revisions old now. Mine is before the model with the 1200 W element and before the 1st model with the window.    Many people have made mods in an attempt to improve it's design or ease of use to suit their needs.  At least with the older models, there is a wiring issue that many have experienced, but the fix is not too dificult or expensive and is well documented on this forum.  In addition, Masterbuilt seems to have attempted to address this issue in their most recent model.  The MES is definitely not perfect, but I think you get a lot for what you pay for it.  I'm glad I got the 40" over the 30".  If they made one twice as big, I would own it.

Last edited:
Doesn't take up a lot of room.

I can use it on my wooden deck.

Doesn't burn little fingers or sniffing animals (including spouses).

Inexpensive to operate.

Easy to set up prior to smoking.

Easy to use and monitor/adjust temps.

Easy to clean.

Easy to modify....if you choose.

Clean to use.

Family and friends RAVE about the results. (I think this is the most important reason.)

I LOVE MY MES!!!!!!

Last edited:
don't listen to the other folks that use the "B"...you know the ones that use that sawdust compressed pucks.

I've had my MES 30 now for almost a year and I love it.  My first choice to buy it, was because of the ease of use.  It's very easy to use.

With a few "mods" and some TLC the thing should last you a long time.  Keep the temp probe and high heat sensors in the back of the unit cleaned off..so your temps and heat don't fluctuate.

Second...It's a very easy cabinet to modify...I have since attached a smoke daddy 8 inch cold smoke unit to the side of my MES, so I can cold smoke items...and then I will be adding a BBQ Guru Temp controller to mine soon...just so I can keep the temps within 1 degree plus or minus of where I set it at.

I love my MES and it has produced some beautiful results so far...Oh yeah..I like that I can also use chips or chunks of wood in the smoking tray too.  Wood that still has some bark and sap in it makes for a much better smoke and more flavor than those sawdust pucks as well.

Dan

Because they are reasonably priced compared to getting a CookShack, SmokinTex, etc. Have ample interior room, 4 racks and are quite easy to operate.

I just noticed last week my 30" MES has stopped working and I have to tear it down to find the problem. I am sure it is just electrical connections corroded, but I have had it 5 or 6 years now.
Found some time to tinker with my 30" MES, it would turn on, but turn itself off almost immediately. I took the back off and checked out the electrical connections and wiring, everything looked good and the shrink wrap around the connections has kept everything clean and dry. The ground wire had quite a bit of creosote and was starting to corrode. I took it apart, cleaned it up and fired it back up; seems to be working just fine again. And remember, this one is 5 or 6 years old and gets plenty of use !!!

I knew I wanted an MES the first time I laid eyes on it. My schedule doesn't allow for me to spend hours smoking but the methods I've developed using the MES has allowed me to keep a freezer full of sweetly smoked meats as well as gifts for the holidays and a fresh mess of ribs whenever I have a cravin. You can truly set the thing and walk away if you are using a smoke generator. A lot of times I just use the chip tray for the first 4 or 5 hours then let the unit do it's thing. I have quit using the gas smoker completely  but  I love my Oklahoma Joe when I have the time..... but the MES is the backbone of my smokin arsenal. Hard to mess up a smoke with it... easy to clean... very efficient to operate and a lot of bang for the buck. Fits my lifestyle.
I have a MES 40 and a Chargriller as well.  I honestly think the Chargriller does a much better job, however the ease of use and lack of constant monitoring have me using the MES more and more.  It does turn out a good product without a lot of hassle.  If you have the time I'd say go charcoal, but if you're busy like the rest of us a MES is a good option.  My 2 cents.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky