Why do I get the same questions/headings that are years old....everyday?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Do you want to see the same stuff day after day?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ewilli

Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
Why do I get the same questions/headings that are years old....everyday?   (how did you get your name?) (How many....?)

Those are the topics that are consistently answered. If you scroll down past them, there are constantly new topics added. It's really not all that painful.

For the newbies, asking a question is a lot easier than sorting through the old posts by the search tool.  So many items come up and many if not most may be general and not related to the specific question.

I don't mind.  We are here to help each other.  Easy enough to scroll past posts that are of no interest.

Good luck and good smoking.

Why do I get the same questions/headings that are years old....everyday?   (how did you get your name?) (How many....?)
Because this site has over 50,000 members and does not archive old posts. You can revive any post at anytime, if you want to.

Because this site has over 50,000 members and does not archive old posts. You can revive any post at anytime, if you want to.
Which is a good thing if you like being able to find info at a later date.....  (and it's why all those newbies are refreshing the old threads, as they have not seen them before and probably found them on a search).

"They" say it is for our own info. It is absolutely the most irritating feature. Don't you love to click on "Jeffs Smoking" and see where you have hundreds of unread posts? I have tried to work thru them, impossible. Maybe if I hadn't paid for the info I wouldn't get all this hodge-podge. I think they are just not set up to handle it. Who needs/reads hundreds of posts from years ago...still relevant? Sucks!!

willi, try "unsubscribe" from the threads.... then they won't show up..... and you can "unclick" the box at the top right corner of the home page "list" that says "subscriptions"...

"They" say it is for our own info. It is absolutely the most irritating feature. Don't you love to click on "Jeffs Smoking" and see where you have hundreds of unread posts? I have tried to work thru them, impossible. Maybe if I hadn't paid for the info I wouldn't get all this hodge-podge. I think they are just not set up to handle it. Who needs/reads hundreds of posts from years ago...still relevant? Sucks!!
 I look at new posts, scan down the list, read what I want to read and disregard the rest. If I have a little extra time I might look through a specific forum or look at the unanswered posts to see if I can offer any insight. Though not to the extent of many, I do try to participate in the discussions as much as I can. By participating in the forum, I not only try to help others by sharing my experience, but I also gain the benefit of the collective experience of 50,000+ people who share a common interest.

You, the original poster, have been a member here for over a year and made three posts. Maybe if you get involved and get to know some people, you'll enjoy it a little more. I know it can be frustrating to see the same posts over and over again, but really it's just the way it's set up. You can just scroll right on past it.

For starters, tell us a little about yourself. What part of the world do you hail from, what's your smoking experience, what kind of smoker/grill do you have etc...? If you have any favorite recipes, by all means post them! Folks here love to see what others are cooking and in turn to share their ideas on similar recipes. Think of it as a big party. You can either sit in the corner feeling left out of all the fun, or you can get up, walk up to some people, start a conversation and maybe make some new friends. It's up to you really.

I signed up to get info on Jeffs methods/recipes and recommendations, not how someone stuck tinfoil in his chip holder two years ago or 52 ways to smoke the same pork butt. Look at the reply you left me....does it say anything meaningful except I can make friends with some unknown posters, if I will only contribute more lines of inconsequential info? Well here they are. How am I doing?

I have only been on this forum only for a few months and have enjoyed every day.I have learned some great things visited with some fantastic people.Some threads and questions seem to be repeated but that is just nature of forums.I just skip over those it is a small issue considering what I have gained from here.I know it is hard to take the time but it would be better if some started at the OP and read thru the thread before commenting.I will say Thanks to all the posters on here that share their time and experiances good and bad.

Dan 

Reactions: mdboatbum

I signed up to get info on Jeffs methods/recipes and recommendations, not how someone stuck tinfoil in his chip holder two years ago or 52 ways to smoke the same pork butt. Look at the reply you left me....does it say anything meaningful except I can make friends with some unknown posters, if I will only contribute more lines of inconsequential info? Well here they are. How am I doing?
Hey man, to each his own. I was just trying to offer a friendly word of advice to someone who seemed pretty pissed off. If that's what gets you through your day, more power to you. Hope you were able to get the recipes and methods you were after.

ewilli, afternoon..... Are you new to forums ????? there are some "adjustments" you can make to how you receive information... In your "PROFILE" section are lots of boxes to click and modify.....

I'm assuming the stuff you receive, that is unwanted, is in the forum...... not in your e-mail folder..... Dave

Last edited:
That part is good. I got all the info (good stuff) I wanted and put it to good use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky