Why a Cooler

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin for life

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 21, 2007
Phila.
I've read a lot of threads about smoking since I've been here and most of them talk about wrapping the meat in foil and a towel, and letting it rest in a cooler. What is the reason for the cooler?

for the most part...the cooler is insulated so it helps keep the meat warm, plus also keeps humidity up which keeps the meat juicy and thusly also easier to pull........
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That makes sense. Guess its time to go into the garage and look for an extra one. I wonder if I can find one of them "Bio Hazzard" stickers. Have to keep the neighbors out when I turn my back. It's funny how popular I've gotten since I started smoking on the week ends.

My smoker has been the bigest help for my anti-social personality, amazing how popular i am on my street.

The cooler thing does work , i'm just useally running to late to leave in a cooler very long.

The meat will also continue cooking using this method. I've seen and meat hit the cooler at 190º and come out at 200º. I personally do not use a cooler anymore. I cook to the desired temp, and I do not have a problem with moisture or pulling. Just a matter of convenience to me. If I've got the firebox going, I try and utilize all I can of the energy.
Personal preference here.

I'm the same way Tom. I pull brisket & pulled pork off the smoker from 200-205*, (usually already foiled) wrap in an old work shirt or sweat shirt, take it to the house and wait at least an hour. Then I slice or pull.

To each their own. But I do things as easy as possible w/ good results. Would love to try out some of "all-ya-alls" food, but then again...........what I don't know won't hurt me.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
I sure don't want the wife and kids to try the food you guys make.........would make me look like an idiot............nothin new to me though.

A cooler is also used as a brining container for large items or large amount of items, generous use of ice is recommended for that purpose. You can use it to keep food warm on those long trips back to the dinner table.

i have never used a cooler for meat. i just pull it out of the smoker (already wrapped), and set it on the stove for an hour.

Unfortunatly for me, my wife is too impatient for pulled pork. So the closest we get is pork roast. So my cooler is strickly for cooling. Actually just for ice storage. I'm too impatient too buy warm beer. It goes from fridge at the store to fridge in the basement.

in a cooler or not, meat can still continue to cook while it's resting even on top of the counter.....usually a 5 to 10 degree rise in temp is not unheard of during resting......

just in case anyone is interested
in australia they are called an "esky" mainly because that was the brand name of the first company to make them here.short for eskimo i think .
strange that they should be called a cooler when you guys are using them to keep food warm though

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky