Why 3 intake ports instead of 1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmwr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Villisca Iowa
I bought all my hardware at the Home Depot today to start building my UDS. I bought 3    3/4x close nipples and 1 ball valve and 2 caps. This is what my parts list called for. Before i start drilling, can anyone tell me why you need all 3? I would think just one nipple with the ball valve could give me all the range I would need. Why the other 2 with caps? Is this overkill?

Alot of times I will have all the caps off to get the temp up faster. Start putting the caps back on as the temp get closer to my target temp.

Chicken I will go with higher temp.275 +. To get that you will have one or both caps off and the valve open. I run with 4 nipples on my UDS.

Hope this helps.

I came here for the same question so glad it was already answered.  So basically the caps are just a way to save money over three valves but the one valve helps you fine tune the temp?

I came here for the same question so glad it was already answered.  So basically the caps are just a way to save money over three valves but the one valve helps you fine tune the temp?

Yes the valve it to fine tune it. If your wide open with the valve and need higher temp then take one of the cap off and adjust the valve to get the temp you need.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky