Who's doing a Turkey on their ECB for ThanksGiving?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tread

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Ohio
I'm planning on doing one for the first time. I have a pre-made brine mix, will ad some seasoning to the bird and will probably flavor my water.  I'd like to hear your horror stories, successes, and tips. Going to be an early and long day of smoking. 
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

I'm planning on doing one for the first time. I have a pre-made brine mix, will ad some seasoning to the bird and will probably flavor my water.  I'd like to hear your horror stories, successes, and tips. Going to be an early and long day of smoking. 
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif
It needn't be either early nor long. Get your smoker above 300˚ (yes, you can even get an ECB up to that temp) and you're looking at a 4 to 5 hour smoke. Use lump and make sure your coals can get enough air. And lose the water pan. the water will just slow things down and it'll evaporate after a couple hours anyway. Plus, flavoring the water does nothing for the flavor of the food. Water and alcohol are the only things that end up in the steam, all the flavors stay right in the pan. And don't over think it. There's no need to ruin Thanksgiving by fretting over the bird.

so....... why are you still in this forum? 
confused.gif
Same reason I am. I got rid of my ECB too.

Last edited:
He also cured his turkey. Smoking a bird low and slow, especially one over 20lbs. is a food safety minefield, so just be careful. If you don't cure the turkey you'll want it to be in and out of the 40˚-140˚ "danger zone" as quickly as possible, generally under 4 hours.

Brining and curing are not the same thing. The post you linked specifically states he used Morton's Tenderquick. So, if you're following his advice but not including a cure, you're risking bacterial growth. I'm sure you're aware of all this, just pointing it out for others who might not be aware that a cured turkey and an uncured turkey are 2 completely different things and require different time and temperature controls.

the more I research the more I think I'll be smoking at a higher temp.. 300+ 

Anyone can reply to threads in groups even if they arent a member of the group or have an ECB anymore.
I understand that. But your post contributed nothing to the thread. I got an email on my phone telling me there was a post. I took time out of my day to login and read that. Really?

Keep us posted and let us know how it turns out!!
I will thanks for the input. It seems 275-350 are good temps for big birds and to avoid low temps in the bird. If 4 hours and not to 140 internal throw in the oven. 

good luck with thee pre-made one. I have used the slaughter house one and its excellent. Id recommend you trying it sometime. Also recommend getting a small chicken to try that pre-made brine on.You wouldnt want your Thanksgiving Day bird to be bad.

im planning on doing one but i dont really know where to start still reallly new to smoking any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated

im planning on doing one but i dont really know where to start still reallly new to smoking any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated
Same here. All you can do is read as much as you can. Have all your gear and ingredients ready to go. Have plenty of beer on hand. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky