Whole Chicken Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fester

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
SoCal
I plan on smoking 2 whole 5# chickens in my Smoke Vault this week. I figued I would brine them using the Slaughterhouse brine since I have never brined before. I was thinking of smoking at 300-350 to 165 at breast. But was unsure if I should leave them whole or open them up from the back and lay them out? Should I leave my water pan empty?Should I rub EVOO to get crispy skin? And anything else I may need to know. Thanks

I smoke mine up whole, ya can spatchcock em if ya like, they smoke a bit faster.  Ya should get a crispy skin at them temps.  The olive oil won't hurt nothin, I generally just sprinkle a bit a rub on mine.  Let em rest fer 15 minutes ta 30 minutes after ya pull em, the juice will redistribute through the meat that way.

Give em a quick rinse an pat dry after the brine.

Ya really don't need the moisture fer the birds, but it might help keep yer temps more regular as far as the water pan be.  UDS ain't got one so I can't say fer yer smoker.

As Travcoman says you don't need to spatchcock them unless you want to at those temps they will cook pretty fast when I high temp smoke my poultry I do use the water pan and usually have to refill it once or twice during the smoke. You can apply the EVOO or not at those temps the skin should come out crisp either way

Hey,time for me to chime in, Not bragging but i have the secret to the best smoked chicken you will ever eat.I win competitions using this recipe out of fields of hundreds.

First open the chicken by cutting out the backbone.

second put the bird in a ziploc and fill bag with buttermilk.

third add some seasoning to the mixture, seal and put in the fridge.

Next day take bird out of bag, DO NOT wipe or rinse the bird.

Seaon with your fav. seasoning and grill it till the internal temp at the bone between the leg and thigh reaches 180 degrees.

Family secret first time released, I hope my father doesn't find out.

Last edited:
Measure the temp at the bone? You want to stay as far away from the bone as possible when checking the temp on any meat. The bone will be hotter than the meat and give you a false reading.

Hey,time for me to chime in, Not bragging but i have the secret to the best smoked chicken you will ever eat.I win competitions using this recipe out of fields of hundreds.

Seaon with your fav. seasoning and smoke it till the internal temp at the bone between the leg and thigh reaches 180 degrees.

icon_cool.gif

I'm with the majority here and say that you don't need to open the bird up. I do like the brine I use it alot too. Now I like my birds smoked whole for it keeps the bird really juicy and moist and tender to me. So there's my pennies. 

Seaon with your fav. seasoning and smoke it till the internal temp at the bone between the leg and thigh reaches 180 degrees.

Personally, I would not eat this. I would not eat poultry soaked in a dairy product and then smoked for a couple hours without washing off the dairy. Dairy can get pretty nasty pretty fast.

Also I am confused - what is your cooking method for the wins you reference?  In the other post you state that you grill it and here you smoke it.  Not trying to be nasty or confrontational - just want to understand what you are doing  

Sorry meant grill, Plus i do understand about the dairy contamination but i have been told when you grill it over high heat you dont need to worry about it. I'm told it cooks out the same as the blood in the chicken. I may be wrong but i have been cooking them this way for five years now with no problem. Thank you for your intrest, we dont want to hurt anyone.

Yea the issue I had was that a member was asking how to smoke something and what your post indicated could have caused someone some harm for sure if he had smoked it using your recipe.

I dont have an issue with the grilling but still the 180 temp bothers me but to each his own - Are you aware that you can go back into your post and do an edit - might be a good idea just to keep folks safe

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the tips I will post pics here after I smoke those birds.

Here's the pix's of the chickens. One I pressed garlic into EVOO and rubbed over chicken and sprinkled paprika. The other is EVOO and a rub.

f2e26582_DSC_0001.jpg

in the smoker at 300 using cherry and red oak

47f33669_DSC_0003.jpg

Done in a little more than 2hrs at 175

14445ce1_DSC_0007.jpg

The chickens tasted great! The family was very pleased with the results and I will definitely brine using the Slaughterhouse recipe again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky