Whole Beef Short Ribs - Heavy Bear/Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great job scoop - I can almost taste one on the screen -

Those look fantastic.

I've clipped this into Evernote.  I really want to do some beef ribs but she who must be obeyed has said we need to clear out the freezer first before I can go out and buy anything else 
th_crybaby2.gif

Major thumbs up on this one!

Curt.

Outstanding, but I like my steaks as well as my beef ribs, medium rare. So never more than 4 1/2 hours. You can do these bad boys on a hot grill also. Pull them at 140º tops. Eat em up.

a7eb9c32_SoupBones0000.jpg

e4d497f9_SB0005.jpg

adcbc31e_BeefRibs25hours0013.jpg

32855f8d_PrimeBone017.jpg

ok...how do you get a membership to Restaurant Depot without owning a buisness?
You have to have a business license.  It does not matter what nature your business is.  Mine is a dog pooper scooper biz, and they gave me one. 

It's free to join, so if you have a friend or family member with a business, maybe they can join and give you a card.  They gave me 2 cards when I joined.

Those look fantastic.

I've clipped this into Evernote.  I really want to do some beef ribs but she who must be obeyed has said we need to clear out the freezer first before I can go out and buy anything else 
th_crybaby2.gif

Major thumbs up on this one!

Curt.
Thank you very much, Curt!  I know what you mean.  I get the, "Isn't the freezer still full of a bunch of other meats?"  LOL

Flash,

I have tried them medium rare.  While they have great flavor, I still prefer them cooked to the brisket stage.  I even tried it with the boneless ones at Costco, and did not care for the texture. 

But that pic of yours with the slice cut open... mouth watering every time I see it!

Scooper , try a batch with Salt/Cracked Blackpepper and Onion or Garlic , Beef likes S/CBP
biggrin.gif
 You will not need any sauce , (if you are a true Beef Lover).A sweet rub degrades the flavor(IMHO).Rather like Syrup on Hamburger(yuk).

Just a suggestion.....

I agree Stan.  I made this post last November.  I was doing a lot of experimenting with different rubs.  Now I know that a meat which takes 6 hours does not need sugar to form a good bark.  I have been using SPOG on beef back ribs now when I do them. On mine.  Unfortunately Mrs. Scooper still likes a rub with sugar on beef.  I will slowly break her of that. 
biggrin.gif

Flash,
I have tried them medium rare.  While they have great flavor, I still prefer them cooked to the brisket stage.  I even tried it with the boneless ones at Costco, and did not care for the texture. 

But that pic of yours with the slice cut open... mouth watering every time I see it!

Scooper, did you ever try just grilling them yet. Very tender, almost like a prime rib.

Yes I have.  They did not get charred enough on the outside for me.

One thing I may try is to flash them in the cast iron skillet.  That might do it for me.

Scooper, here's a good homemade BBq sauce for the Wife:

64oz.-cheap ketchup

2cups -firmly packed Brown sugar

1/4cup-fresh lemon juice

1/4cup-liquid smoke

1cup - real Butter(melted)

2tbls.-Worchestershire Sauce

heat all except Ketchup to melt and combine ; mix in the Ketchup and set aside for use , keeps well and will not last long,

a sweet sauce for those pseudo. conniseurrers.

You may add Chilpolte to heat it up some or add a Tbls. of Balsamic Vinegar for a bold flavor

Enjoy....

Thanks, sunman!

Pat, Thanks for the sauce, but I already have her weaned off of sauces.  Next is to wean her off of sweet beef ribs.  I think what I will do on the next batch is make some with and some without and let her see the difference.

Nice looking ribs! Didn't see no bears?

Those look awesome! I've seen them in the meat case but never picked any up.

Could those kind of beef short ribs be made into faux-burnt ends of sorts?

My girlfriend loves the burnt ends I've made from the cubed brisket point, but I've been looking for something a little more manageable to try to get the same flavor ...  Anyone ever given it a shot?

Those look awesome! I've seen them in the meat case but never picked any up.

Could those kind of beef short ribs be made into faux-burnt ends of sorts?

My girlfriend loves the burnt ends I've made from the cubed brisket point, but I've been looking for something a little more manageable to try to get the same flavor ...  Anyone ever given it a shot?
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.  Beef short ribs do have a lot of fat and connective tissue similar to brisket point.  I would expect you could make burnt ends out of short ribs.  I'm about ready to take some short ribs off the smoker ... 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky