Who roasts their own coffee on their BBQ or Grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No creamer suggestions, but low acid coffee options.
The Indian monsoon malabar coffee I mentioned a few weeks back also happens to be very low acid. Don't know if that would make a difference.
If you've never tried a cold brew method, that is supposed to help with stomach issues.
On the crazier end of the spectrum, I've heard of people putting a pinch of baking soda and salt in the grinds when brewing, again to help reduce acidity. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: noboundaries
No creamer suggestions, but low acid coffee options.
The Indian monsoon malabar coffee I mentioned a few weeks back also happens to be very low acid. Don't know if that would make a difference.
Thanks, HD. I did look up that coffee at the time it was mentioned. Can't remember my thoughts. I'll have to look it up again.

If you've never tried a cold brew method, that is supposed to help with stomach issues.

I have made cold brew but treated it like regular coffee. I'll give it a try again without creamer. Thanks for the suggestion.

I occasionally make a Mexican Kahlua to give as Christmas gifts. Was going to do so again this year and recently bought 5 lbs of green Mexican beans for that process. The coffee I make it with is cold brewed.

On the crazier end of the spectrum, I've heard of people putting a pinch of baking soda and salt in the grinds when brewing, again to help reduce acidity. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, that's one of the first things I tried long ago. Have you ever drank a flat coke or Pepsi? It just tastes dead. Salt and/or baking soda does the same thing to coffee. I understand it helps make Robusta coffee more palatable, but it completely neutralizes Arabica coffee.

Definitely going to start a batch of cold brew today. Thanks again!

Thanks, TBM. Tried it. That's all we drink, or I should say, that's all my wife drinks.

BUT, because of your suggestion, I looked up lactose-free half and half, plus lactose free heavy cream that isn't coconut milk. BOTH EXIST! Who knew? (Insert head-smack DOH! here). Definitely gonna find them and try them. Thanks again.
Awesome! Also another "fat" option that is not coconut oil and is lactose free is Cocoa Butter. Just get the food grade not the cosmetic grade. Same stuff but one is prepped in a safe way to eat, the other is not :)

Yep, I'm talking about the stuff that is used to make chocolate and comes from the Cocoa Bean.

Additionally, roasted cocoa bean and cocoa butter taste very close to coffee but instead is more of a chocolate profile. They are close cousins where cocoa takes better to being sweetened it seems :)

I hope this also helps with some options :D

Also for lower acid, will a dark roast cook away the acid that exists in lighter beans.
I ask because of the simple notion that the darker beans taste less acidic than lighter roasts.
Seems that the longer darker roasting process may simply burn away acids.

This idea passes the plausibility test in my head, I guess a real world taste test of a bean that is giving you acid issues will tell. Just a thought :)

Also for lower acid, will a dark roast cook away the acid that exists in lighter beans.
Interesting question. I know for a fact that darker roasts reduce caffeine, but I'll have to research the acid question.

I try to limit my roasts to Full City+/Light Vienna. I used to like darker roasts, then I started roasting my own coffee. Now, I taste burnt beans when I roast more dark to Vienna or Italian.

Answer: Dark Roasts - a study published in 2010 found that dark roast coffee is easier on the stomach than light roasts because it produces an ingredient that prevents hydrochloric acid from building up in the stomach. Cold Brew - brewing coffee using the cold brew method has been shown to increase the pH level of coffee.Mar 3, 2018

And a simpler answer: Dark roast coffees tend to be less acidic because they contain fewer compounds that cause stomach cells to produce acid.Oct 8, 2021

Gotta roast some more coffee today or tomorrow to make cold brew.

Answer: Dark Roasts - a study published in 2010 found that dark roast coffee is easier on the stomach than light roasts because it produces an ingredient that prevents hydrochloric acid from building up in the stomach. Cold Brew - brewing coffee using the cold brew method has been shown to increase the pH level of coffee.Mar 3, 2018

And a simpler answer: Dark roast coffees tend to be less acidic because they contain fewer compounds that cause stomach cells to produce acid.Oct 8, 2021

Gotta roast some more coffee today or tomorrow to make cold brew.

Wow nice work done on the research!

Do I foresee you doing some fun experiments where you try to craft a better tasting, less acidic dark roast.
Also separate cold brew experiments.

Then finally, the magic combo of dark roast cold brew?!?!?!? :D

This also reminds me of how people say "All bacon smoke flavor tastes the same" and my findings were that this is only true when you fry your bacon crispy (cook the hell out of it).
HOWEVER, if you smoke your bacon to an IT of 145F and slice and eat like sandwich meat, OR you lightly fry to have soft bacon, you can TOTALLY taste the differences in smoke flavors!

I discovered those experiments on my own during my bacon making/learning. This dark roast/acid/burnt flavor situation sounds very similar.

I'm in to see what you may tinker with :D

just getting caught up... I know you love coffee Ray so I'm bummed out to hear of your new limitations. Hope you find a good/palpable solution, no pun intended.

And not to rub salt in the wound, but you taught me to add fine ground pepper to my pour-over...Any chance part of your negative reaction could be due to that? Either the pepper itself or its reaction with other complex coffee chemicals?

And not to rub salt in the wound, but you taught me to add fine ground pepper to my pour-over...Any chance part of your negative reaction could be due to that? Either the pepper itself or its reaction with other complex coffee chemicals?
Nope. That's definitely not an issue. I often forget the black pepper when I get busy. Thanks for asking, and I'm glad you're still peppering your coffee. So good.

noboundaries noboundaries , good to know I don't need to try adding baking soda 😁, but now I have to try black pepper?! Lol.

With my most recent order I got 1 lb of robusta just to play around with. Maybe I'll try a dalmatian rub on the beans. What binder do you think I should use? 🤣

After doing a little research on lactose-free milk/half 'n half/cream, you're not going to believe the experiment I'm trying. Just started like 5 minutes ago. I need 24-48 hours to see if it works.

Stay tuned!

Get a nice fresh roast and make egg coffee. I prefer mine using the white only, some use the whole egg. Bring the water up to a boil, turn the heat off. Wait a half minute or so and add the coffee and the egg white or mix the egg white into the grounds and add it to the water. When the coffee blooms it will rise to the top. After it steeps, pour a little cool water on it and the grounds will sink to the bottom. Have a cup

An old fashioned stove top pot works great.

Get a nice fresh roast and make egg coffee. I prefer mine using the white only, some use the whole egg. Bring the water up to a boil, turn the heat off. Wait a half minute or so and add the coffee and the egg white or mix the egg white into the grounds and add it to the water. When the coffee blooms it will rise to the top. After it steeps, pour a little cool water on it and the grounds will sink to the bottom. Have a cup

An old fashioned stove top pot works great.
Never heard of Swedish egg coffee. Watched YouTube videos for Swedish and Scandivanian Egg coffee. I'm DEFINITELY trying it in the morning! Thanks for the suggestion.

Ray

Nope. Couldn't wait to try it. Such a clean yet powerful tasting cup of coffee! I only had an espresso cup so I could sleep tonight. I'll put the rest in the fridge for an iced coffee in the morning, no creamer.

Fast. Easy. And quick cleanup. I can see playing with the extraction time and doses to perfect this for my taste.

20220930_193035.jpg

Edit update next morning: Great taste. The body is tea-like, which is a bit too lite for me. Zero stomach issues this morning (MW reheat, not iced coffee). I will definitely make this from the egg whites each time I use egg yolks to make my own mayo.

Absolutely added to my coffee brewing techniques.

Last edited:
Hmmm, never heard of this and I married a Swede.
Most of the recipes seem to require yolk, whites, and even shell. Perfect the recipe Folks, post it here, and save me the time. "Smooth" is not something I'm looking for now, but it might be be some day so I'm keeping an open mind.

I'd just add that undercooked eggs can make you sick so make sure that you add the rounds/egg paste to very hot water and ensure it stays >150F for the 2-3 minutes it steeps to kill the baddies.

My stomach can't handle black coffee anymore after drinking it for decades. I need creamer to tame it. Throw in lactose intolerance, and creamer options are limited. I was using a lite coconut milk for years and then realized quite recently it was causing a different set of inflammation problems. I'm not giving up coffee, especially since I have 40 lbs of green Arabica beans to roast.

I just started experimenting with creamers. The first one tried was Silk Almond creamer. Too sweet and tastes like Irish Cream, which was a surprise, a pleasant one. I did a 50-50 mix of the creamer and Kirkland Canadian whiskey over ice, and it tasted EXACTLY like the cheaper Irish Creams. I'll remember that little experiment when the holidays arrive. It hides the coffee flavors, though, so the search continues.

I am going to try an Oat Milk creamer next.

Friggin' stomach.

I'm open to suggestions.

Ray
I'm a black coffee drinker. I used to use creamers but stomach doesn't like the sugar. Wife has a sensitive stomach and switched to oat creamer last year and she loves it

Bill That recipe was perfected years ago. Cowboy egg coffee uses the shells. Personally I don't use the yolk. That goes in the flapjacks. Most Scandinavian coffees are a dark roast. When you live out on the range populated by lots of Norweigans you learn these things. Try a dark roast with it and see how smooth it is.

Reactions: bill1
So, the experiment I referenced above.

I was researching how lactose-free milk, half n half, and cream was made. All they do is add lactase to the milk, then sell it for 50% to 100% more than regular milk. Well, heck, time for an experiment.

Cream has less lactose than milk. I had an unopened quart of cream in the fridge I was going to use to make mascarpone. Instead, I pulverized 10 lactase tablets (Costco) in a mortar, put the dust in a quart jar, added a little water, added the cream, stirred it to mix, and put it back in the fridge for at least 24 hours to let the lactase consume the lactose.

Result? It worked! I had a mug of coffee yesterday and had ZERO response.

That's two great ideas I got from this thread.

Last edited:
Hey noboundaries noboundaries have you ever roasted a been and got like almost no chaff???

I havent roasted any in a long time but did some green Jamaican Blue Mountain beans I bought online and virtually no chaff!!!
I got a little bit when I was was airing them out in the colander but not much.

I roasted 8oz in about 10 min to get a dark roast and I know my heat was a little hot but nothing seemed out of the ordinary except no chaff.

Any thoughts? I'll get reports on how they taste in weeks time or so from my taster since I don't drink coffee :D
Well, I have now roasted coffee and got almost no chaff. I just did two back-to-back Costa Rican coffee roasts to a lighter City+ level and got almost zero chaff. About to do a third roast (update: no chaff for the third time). Stopped the roasts about halfway through the first crack.

Three weeks ago I roasted the same green beans to a Full City/Full City+ level and took a chaff shower.

Interesting.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky