Who roasts their own coffee on their BBQ or Grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Erik, I do know what you mean about espresso makers. I just stopped buying them. My wife says I've used up enough countertop space with all my kitchen gadgets, so I make due with the pour over cones, a French press, and three moka pots (3, 6, and 9 cup). The 9 cup makes a nice big mug of coffee, but I use it for company mostly. It is too much for me alone. The 6 cup is what I like best in the morning if I'm not doing a pour-over, the 3 cup in the afternoon.

I know for a fact my wife got me a "Clever Dripper" for Christmas, one with a cover. It combines the best of filtered pour over and the French press coffee. $22 on Amazon. It is a cone dripper than steeps the coffee like a French press. When your 4 minutes have elapsed, you put the cone on your mug and it allows the coffee to flow thru. I'll tell you how it works in a month and a half. There are YouTube videos of the Clever Dripper.

I've tried Dillanos and Lavazza. Still prefer my own ground beans. From what I've read, true espresso is an 80/20 mix of Arabica and Robusta beans, medium to medium-dark roast. I can taste a Robusta bean from a mile away, so that's why I prefer my own grinds, and now my own roasts.

I have had to move away from black coffee the last several years. I add coconut milk or frothed milk to my coffee. Since you have an espresso machine, you have a frother. I just put cold milk in a jar, shake it for 30 seconds or so, take the top off and microwave it for 12-15 seconds. Works just like a milk frother.

As far as a bean recommendation, I wish I had one. Still too new roasting. I'm loving this Costa Rican I ordered from Sweet Maria's. Sipping some right now. Sweet Maria's is nice because you can order coffee in 1 lb batches and try several different sources.

The reason I bought the Nicaraguan in 3 lbs off Amazon was for learning to roast. It wasn't expensive and any failures wouldn't hurt, especially if I was only roasting 6-8 oz of green beans. Just like BBQ though, the failures were still pretty dang good. If it wasn't so acidic, I'd recommend it. Some people like the acidic taste. I used to, but my stomach can't handle it any longer.

I just took delivery of inexpensive, Mexican, organic green beans ordered off Amazon from Smokin' Beans Coffee Company. 5 lbs delivered was $27.85, or $5.57/lb. It is actually cheaper from Amazon than it is on the Smokin' Beans Coffee Company website, and it is shipped from the same place! Go figure. I'm going to roast a batch today to try over the next several days. I bought it for making Mexican Kahlua for Christmas gifts, and for personal consumption. Will know in few days how good it is.

Take the leap into home roasting, Erik. But trust me, it adds a whole new meaning to the love of coffee.

Ok. Im convinced to try it. So I'm off to the Amazon for some Columbian beans (pun intended!)

Its odd that those Primos Nicaraguan beans are a best seller and so highly rated yet so not to your liking.

there are some insanely expensive green coffees that command up to $350/lb.
Not up for some Kope Luwak?

No, don't get me wrong. The Primos Nicaraguan was really good coffee. Great flavor. Ten years ago I would have been buying it again. As I've grown older though, my stomach is more sensitive. I loved drinking it, but didn't like what it did to my stomach.

I have a Kopi Luwak story. We had some lawyer friends for a while who knew of my love of coffee. They were big coffee drinkers too, spending a small fortune each month at their local roaster buying coffee for themselves, home, and their office. They were always bringing me roasted coffee beans from their travels and that local roaster. They had a condo on the Big Island, and I'll admit, the Kona was good. It didn't knock my socks off, but I really did enjoy it.

Once, when we were visiting, they bought 4 oz of roasted Kopi Luwak beans. It was several years ago but I believe they paid $65 for that 4 oz bag of coffee beans. They had me grind them and brew them so we could all share in the experience. None of us were impressed.

One more lesson I learned this afternoon from roasting the Organic Mexican beans. The outside temp was in the upper 50s and the wind was blowing. I had to run a higher flame setting on my side burner to complete the roast, which still took 18 minutes. Don't follow my directions blindly. Use your cooking instincts when roasting and what I've written as a general guide.

I think you are the first person that I know of that has tried those beans. LOL! I'm afraid I wouldn't ever feel compelled to do the same. Good for you nonetheless!

So the package of green beans came in yesterday from Amazon. I got a pound of Morning Hills Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, and an AromaCraft Colombia Supremo. I haven't had time to roast them yet since it was the Mrs. Birthday, and we had plans out all day. I did, however, break out the Moka pot and made her a "Special" brewed latte with it along with breakfast.
This one only makes 9 oz at a time, which is good for double espresso shots, and long coffees. Might have to consider a bigger one for me for my regular brewed. Just adding water Americano style just isn't the same to me.

I think you are the first person that I know of that has tried those beans. LOL! I'm afraid I wouldn't ever feel compelled to do the same. Good for you nonetheless!

So the package of green beans came in yesterday from Amazon. I got a pound of Morning Hills Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, and an AromaCraft Colombia Supremo. I haven't had time to roast them yet since it was the Mrs. Birthday, and we had plans out all day. I did, however, break out the Moka pot and made her a "Special" brewed latte with it along with breakfast.
This one only makes 9 oz at a time, which is good for double espresso shots, and long coffees. Might have to consider a bigger one for me for my regular brewed. Just adding water Americano style just isn't the same to me.

Ooooh I'm in to hear how the Ethiopian Yirgs turn out. Mine are going to be delivered today. My hope is that I can roast them and get plenty of fruit-like flavors out of them. I plan to roast these to like 425-428F and give them as a gift to someone who loves flavored coffee, especially fruit flavors in the coffee.

Ok guys I could use a little advice. I have my 2 pounds of Green Natrual (dry) processed Ethiopian Yirgs.
I plan to roast them to 425-428F on Wed Dec 20th. so they have a 96 hour bloom/rest period ending on Dec 24th. I plan to grind them the evening of Dec 24th to give as a gift on Dec 25th (Christmas day) where I am sure they will be immediately brewed through a standard coffee pot.

Do you see any issue with this timeline or anything that I should take into consideration that may alter my timeline?
I'm all ears to ensure I get this done in time and in secret for max flavor. Also I will vac seal the grinds.

Thanks!!!

Sounds like a great plan. Timeline is fine.

Just be sure to grind to a drip grind, not finer. Freshly roasted beans "bloom" more than the dead stuff from the store. The bloom is the gas they release during extraction. The finer the grind, the greater the bloom, which can over-flow the basket if ground too fine.

Sounds like a great plan. Timeline is fine.

Just be sure to grind to a drip grind, not finer. Freshly roasted beans "bloom" more than the dead stuff from the store. The bloom is the gas they release during extraction. The finer the grind, the greater the bloom, which can over-flow the basket if ground too fine.

Thanks for the input. I'll review the drip grind consistency/texture that way I get it right. I'll be using the magic bullet with the grind blade.

I got a shot at roasting some beans. Since I had a 4-day holiday weekend coming up and having guests over to share the brew with, this was good timing as any. It has been over a week now from roast to cup, so here it goes...

As I mentioned earlier, I bought 2 varieties of green beans to roast: Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and Columbian Supremo. I got a pound of each to start with. I chose them is because I have tried them both before, so I know what flavor notes I should be working with. I'm glad I did! Otherwise going into this completely blind and would be nearly pointless except for discovering a new flavor of coffee. This isn't a bad thing of course, but the intent here is to follow the roasting process from fresh through the different stages through the bloom.

I roasted half of each of them on November 20th. I followed noboundaries process as exactly as I could using the same pan, propane burner, IR temp gun, etc... I took them both to 428*, except I took the Yirg (stopped roasting) just a bit into the second crack stage, whereas I let the Columbian finish through the second crack. I started the Columbian at a slightly higher burner temperature at first, but lowered the flame to keep the temperature down as close to 428* as possible through to the end. Both roasts were complete within about 15 minutes. But I didn't actually time it either, as I was more going by the cracking stages and temperature. Then into the colander to cool, then into an open quart ziplock baggie. I don't know if what I did is genuine to call them "Full City Roast" or "French Roast", but that is what I am calling them... But as you can see I left the Yirg a tad lighter roast than the Columbian.

cooling.jpg
yirg.jpg
col.jpg
Both.jpg

Now, as for taste... I have been brewing a little of each every morning since Wednesday the 22nd. Both of them are really good and I can clearly distinguish their individual character. At first, I would say I wasn't really that impressed over anything I have had store-bought. Then as a few days have gone by the favors have much improved! Much more mellowed out and yummy and less sour. Today... sitting here now as I type, sipping on the yirg... Such a smooth and velvety mouth feel! The Columbian tastes like... well really rich COFFEE. Carmel, chocolate, earthy. Like Juan Valdez himself just handed me a cup of joe while I am wearing a sombrero and riding a burro down from the mountain with him.

Thank you again Ray for sharing! Yet again another new thing I can blame you for getting me into trying!

I got a shot at roasting some beans. Since I had a 4-day holiday weekend coming up and having guests over to share the brew with, this was good timing as any. It has been over a week now from roast to cup, so here it goes...

As I mentioned earlier, I bought 2 varieties of green beans to roast: Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and Columbian Supremo. I got a pound of each to start with. I chose them is because I have tried them both before, so I know what flavor notes I should be working with. I'm glad I did! Otherwise going into this completely blind and would be nearly pointless except for discovering a new flavor of coffee. This isn't a bad thing of course, but the intent here is to follow the roasting process from fresh through the different stages through the bloom.

I roasted half of each of them on November 20th. I followed noboundaries process as exactly as I could using the same pan, propane burner, IR temp gun, etc... I took them both to 428*, except I took the Yirg (stopped roasting) just a bit into the second crack stage, whereas I let the Columbian finish through the second crack. I started the Columbian at a slightly higher burner temperature at first, but lowered the flame to keep the temperature down as close to 428* as possible through to the end. Both roasts were complete within about 15 minutes. But I didn't actually time it either, as I was more going by the cracking stages and temperature. Then into the colander to cool, then into an open quart ziplock baggie. I don't know if what I did is genuine to call them "Full City Roast" or "French Roast", but that is what I am calling them... But as you can see I left the Yirg a tad lighter roast than the Columbian.

Now, as for taste... I have been brewing a little of each every morning since Wednesday the 22nd. Both of them are really good and I can clearly distinguish their individual character. At first, I would say I wasn't really that impressed over anything I have had store-bought. Then as a few days have gone by the favors have much improved! Much more mellowed out and yummy and less sour. Today... sitting here now as I type, sipping on the yirg... Such a smooth and velvety mouth feel! The Columbian tastes like... well really rich COFFEE. Carmel, chocolate, earthy. Like Juan Valdez himself just handed me a cup of joe while I am wearing a sombrero and riding a burro down from the mountain with him.

Thank you again Ray for sharing! Yet again another new thing I can blame you for getting me into trying!

Great post!
Did your Yirgs have any "fruity" type flavors?
Also how many days of blooming gave you the best flavor on those Yirgs?

Great post!
Did your Yirgs have any "fruity" type flavors?
Also how many days of blooming gave you the best flavor on those Yirgs?

Im not the greatest at describing flavors, but I wouldn't exactly call the flavor "fruity" by my description, but to somebody else maybe so... however, there is a distinct flavor or character of them that I cant describe well other than to say "musky". Pleasant though- something like what you smell when opening a very old book.
As I understand it though, that "fruity" profile is a difference that would come from dry processing vs wet processing of the beans. Which of course I must also try now. These were wet processed that I just got.

As for your second question- so far, todays brew was the best of the Yirg. So to me it is still getting better.

Erik, glad you gave it a try! I don't taste any of my coffee now until it has rested 96 hours (4 days). The difference in taste from 24 to 96 hours can be amazing.

I've tried four coffees now; Nicaraguan, Costa Rican, Mexican Organic, and Guatemalan, all Central American coffees. The Costa Rican is at the top of my short list for richness, mouth-feel, and flavor. The Guatemalan is a close second and right behind that is the Mexican Organic. I would buy any of those three again. I don't taste floral, more like chocolate, toffee, and brown sugar.

I visited a guy who roasted his own coffee, in bigger batches that you guys are describing. He had a bean cooling rig which was a clean 5-gallon bucket with a lid. He had drilled a LOT of holes in the bottom, and a larger hole in the lid so he could connect a shop vac to suck air through the whole thing.

Thanks for the input guys. That all helps :)

One of the few things I find annoying about grinding my own coffee with an electric burr grinder is the static electricity generated when beans are ground. Grinds will fly everyplace, causing waste and a cleanup.

I saw a YouTube video that says to place a few drops of water down the sides of your grinder's whole bean bin and there will be no more static electricity. It works! I can get about three static-free grinds before I need to do it again. Give it a try if you too get static electricity.

Will note that. My cousin just bought an electric grinder and wants to be a part of my little coffee bean adventure so he can do it himself. I'm sure this tip will come in handy for him :)

At one middle eastern store around here, they'll grind coffee that has some roasted cardamom pods mixed in. It makes a really distinctive aroma and flavor.

There is a place in Ingram, TX (central TX) that grinds fresh Pecan in their grind and people rave about it.
I wonder how long fresh Pecan would hold up in a coffee grind before it went bad.

The girl at the counter of the little coffee shop said "fresh Pecan" so who knows if it is or some kind of preserved pecan like the stuff in the bags of the bakery store aisle.

I know some will add a few drops of bar bitters to their grind and that comes in many flavors.
Chickory is another brew alternative I have always been curious to try.

Last edited:
Wow, I have never thought of adding something to the grind, like cardamom or pecan. Now my head's spinning with ideas to research.

I have had brewed chicory a LOOOOONG time ago. My dad drank only coffee, all day and into the evening. I think my mom was trying to wean him off coffee so she bought roasted chicory. I remember I was not a fan back then. It tasted so different from coffee I couldn't make the mental connection to enjoy it. Might be worth another taste though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky