Who is corning their own beef brisket in preparation for St Paddy's day?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That is correct. Turns out wonderful, and much cheaper.

Yup ... have done that ... also have done top round ... much much leaner, so not quite as good or tender, but consistent taste and probably healthier.

Reactions: kawboy
I'm gathering the stuff to do this, but I have a question. Does it matter what type of pan, pot, bucket, etc. that I brine the brisket in? By that, I mean does it matter if it's aluminum, stainless, or plastic? I'm trying to find something that holds 2 gallons of brine plus brisket, yet fits in my refrigerator.

This is my first attempt at anything like this.

You don't want to ever brine in aluminum. But you can use aluminum as long as you use a food grade plastic brine bag. I use plastic Cambro containers because they fit perfectly into my garage frig.
I either use these.
1614209254956.png

Or these depending on how much meat I am brining these.
1614209375561.png

Last edited:
I'm curious how many people have used Pop's low salt brine and how they liked it?

I'm getting ready to brine up 3 brisket, I might go in between Pop's reg brine and his low salt brine to get a middle of the road result hopefully.

I'm gathering the stuff to do this, but I have a question. Does it matter what type of pan, pot, bucket, etc. that I brine the brisket in? By that, I mean does it matter if it's aluminum, stainless, or plastic? I'm trying to find something that holds 2 gallons of brine plus brisket, yet fits in my refrigerator.

This is my first attempt at anything like this.
Avoid anything metallic ... brine will have far more salinity than seawater, and you know how corrosive that can be. I use food grade plastics (usually 3gal ziplocs, multiple when needed, placed in refrigerator crisper trays (And that coldest part of fridge to boot).
Of course those reusable tubs will hold more and save some $

Avoid anything metallic ... brine will have far more salinity than seawater, and you know how corrosive that can be. I use food grade plastics (usually 3gal ziplocs, multiple when needed, placed in refrigerator crisper trays (And that coldest part of fridge to boot).
Of course those reusable tubs will hold more and save some $
They are super cheap at the local restaurant supply store as well under $20 for both on styles sale.
I have a wide verity of them from 30 qt down to 2 qt for sauces and leftovers. I love me some Cambro's my wife hates them she wants pretty containers. Well there ain't nothing pretty about me, I go for longevity and functionality 100% of the time. They freeze great as well!

I'm curious how many people have used Pop's low salt brine and how they liked it?
I mix it with 1/2 cup pickling salt , 1/2 cup white and 1/2 cup brown sugar . Perfect salt level for me .
I'm not going to use this recipe I'm going to use Pop's recipe with the pickling spice measurements from this recipe.
Good . I have that book . Be careful . There are what I consider to be errors in his formulas . HOWEVER , I do use the pickling spice recipe on page 68 . It's really good .

Reactions: forktender
I mix it with 1/2 cup pickling salt , 1/2 cup white and 1/2 cup brown sugar . Perfect salt level for me .

Good . I have that book . Be careful . There are what I consider to be errors in his formulas . HOWEVER , I do use the pickling spice recipe on page 68 . It's really good .
I'm assuming that you are talking about Pop's brine, am I correct?
If so what amount of cure would be safe per gallon of H2o?
Thank you, your salt and sugar amounts are exactly what I was going to go with. I have 10 cups of pickling spice that I got from an old local butcher that is really good as well, so I shouldn't need to make any for a while. (It's vacuum sealed, so it should last awhile.)

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm assuming that you are talking about Pop's brine, am I correct?

Yes . Pop's brine . I noted " pickling salt " because it's not by weight , and that's a fine grain salt .
I use Pop's lead on the cure and other amounts for salt and sugar .
So per gallon of water I use 1 Tablespoon cure one .
I was thinking today it would be cheaper to buy a spice if you don't have the stuff on the shelf to make it up .

Yes . Pop's brine . I noted " pickling salt " because it's not by weight , and that's a fine grain salt .
I use Pop's lead on the cure and other amounts for salt and sugar .
So per gallon of water I use 1 Tablespoon cure one .
I was thinking today it would be cheaper to buy a spice if you don't have the stuff on the shelf to make it up ..

Thanks for that, I would hope a guy that worked in the industry would know that there is an enough wiggle room if in fact there is enough wiggle room to call out measurements in tablespoons and not by grams. (Personally I don't know so when I see measurements such as those I always tend to go a smidgen heavy instead of light just to be safe). I'll pick up some pickling salt if I don't have any fine seas salt which I'm pretty sure that I do. Thanks for alerting me to this though I really appreciate it.
I have enough cure #1 & pickling spice to last me a lifetime, so I'm good there.LOL

Thanks again.
Dan

They are super cheap at the local restaurant supply store as well under $20 for both on styles sale.
I have a wide verity of them from 30 qt down to 2 qt for sauces and leftovers. I love me some Cambro's my wife hates them she wants pretty containers. Well there ain't nothing pretty about me, I go for longevity and functionality 100% of the time. They freeze great as well!
Haven’t seen those low profile ones on Amazon ... guess have to find a restaurant supply store (?)

Reactions: forktender
I've made the leap. I made up Pop's brine for 2 gallons and added crushed garlic and 4 tablespoons of pickling spice per a recipe I found on here, but have since lost.

Separated the point and flat of a whole brisket and trimmed off a lot of fat. Into an 18qt square poly container and into the refrigerator for a 2 week soak.

My plans are traditional corned beef for the flat and pastrami for the point using this recipe by thirdeye for the rub https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pastrami-wet-brine.302811/#post-2151312

Haven’t seen those low profile ones on Amazon ... guess have to find a restaurant supply store (?)
Don't buy it off Amazon they will break off in you price wise they are 3-4X too high.

You can also find the gray food service totes that are 20" long X15 wide X7" deep with a lid.
They are the gray totes that you see dirty dishes in near trash cans at most restaurant diners and bars. If you have a Smart And Final near you they normally have them or can order them for you. They are probably the cheapest way too go at under $10 for tote and lid which is sold separately. They make great meat mixing totes for grinding meat as well. I like them best because they fit on the refer shelf for holding fresh caught Salmon, Tuna, Halibut, White Seabass, Ling Cod ànd Rockfish, or Ducks, Geese, Hogs,and Venison.
Gray food service totes.
I'll add a picture when I'm done trimming up these brisket later this evening.

That works , or kosher salt . Your right , the volume will be close enough either way .
I'm going to convert all the measurements over too grams so I know I get it right. I'm curing up 2-3 brisket and want to make sure I get this done correctly. This is my first go at curing these things up.

I'll make a post with all of the gram measurements and anything else I add to the recipe.

Take care.
Dan

Im planning on using 1/4 cup
of pickling spice as We like the flavor. Do you think that is enough or to much?

If you could respond tonight I would really appreciate it as I'm making up the brine tonight.

Thanks a bunch.
Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky