who builds smoke houses?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnb5

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
I like a lot of the smoke houses I have seen built on here. My question is, does anyone know who builds smoke houses to sell? My construction skills are really lacking so I would just like to buy 1 if possible. Thanks

Hello johnb5.  I personally do not know of any retailer selling wood smoke houses(must admit-never searched).  I can tell you that my construction/handyman skills are less than to be desired.  When I built mine, I enlisted the help of a friend with tools and a little know-how.

After completing the project, I realized that we just built a reinforced box with hinges and ventilation.  I've gone as far as picking up shipping crates and using them for smoke houses.

If you browse through the smokehouse build forum, I'm sure you can find a design that you can pull off.  I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have about my experience building my smokehouse, just shoot me a PM.

Home Depot has some nice Tool sheds in their parking lot.... Would make a great cold smoker... and look good too.....

Davd

David, its funny you say that. I was thinking about those little sheds before I posted this. Would I need to do anything specific to the interior to make it fire proof? It would be used mostly to smoke summer sausage and things like that.

No..... not really.... all you need is something to hold the smoking material.... like a small Weber smoker.... a couple of lit charcoals, minion method..... some lump wood chunks..... get her going and damper it down so it smolders and makes smoke.... probably take a little tweaking until you figured the right amount of air flow so it didn't burst into flame and stop the smoke... I would set the Weber on an elevated piece of Hardy backer or some other "fire proof" material in case stuff fell out the air inlets... You may have to drill a few 1" holes for air in and smoke out if the building was too air tight...
You could even seal off a portion of the building and have an external smoke supply, TV, beer fridge, just to watch stuff smoke.... maybe pick up a piece of glass for an observation window to watch stuff smoke... One of those AMNTS tube smokers Todd sells would do the trick in a 2 x 4 ceiling height blocked off section....
Don't forget carpet on the floor and an electric heater to keep you warm during the game on TV......
After they were smoked, poaching in 150 ish degree liquid to finish the cook would work or a steamer.... they don't have to be finished in the smoker.... commercial smokers finish their sausage etc off with steam heat....

Dave

Last edited:
That's tons of good info David. Thanks a lot for the help

Seems like you gave me the same advice Dave. John, I had the same question. I also had to look elsewhere for a smokehouse. I settled on a betterbuiltbarns.com building. It goes up this coming Wednesday. I'll post photos once it's up. I got the word from my better half that I needed to move all my sausage making activity out of the kitchen, so I ordered a 10 x 12 barn with a 4ft loft. I'll have a wall built giving me a 4' x 10' smoking area. The rest will have my fermentation fridge, workbench and supplies. Let us know which way you choose to go.

Yep..we had some old farmers up in North Texas who raised hogs which they turned into sausage during appropriate cold weather. They smoked in a small metal shed. The smoke came from a five gallon metal bucket half full of charcoal briquettes..mesquite wood and topped off with a big wad of wet hay. They claimed that thing would make smoke for three days without a refill. They made sausage that was not too shabby. The old Frugal Prevert showed how to make a cold smoker on his TV show one time out a card board box and a hot plate. To vote with the majority anything which can make and sorta contain the smoke should work ok. Kindly keep us posted. thanks.

"You could even seal off a portion of the building and have an external smoke supply, TV, beer fridge, just to watch stuff smoke........"

I like your thinking Dave.

Dave (here too)

I'll be posting my smokehouse project as soon as I get a bit more done in the interior, but here's my 10x12 start. The back 4x10 section will hold my cookshack. A wall comes between the smoke chamber and where I'll make sausages.

This is a cool, step above the rest, smoker build..... Lots of pics would be cool... I'm in for the duration...... :popcorn .....:thumb1 copy: ...

5/13/14 1730

Hello bigwheel. Ara you just commenting on this conversation or do you do smoking yourself ?. The reason is I am going to build my own smoke shed .Maybe you might

be interested in helping with smoking fish and meats.I live in Flower Mound

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky