White smoke every time-help?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ref2335

Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
I use a smaller Dyna-Glo vertical propane smoker. I typically use 2 wood chunks every hour for a pork butt smoke. My question: every time I reload more chunks I get big white smoke for 10+minutes, then it settles down. Is this normal and will it impact the flavor of my product?

Thanks!

it sounds like your getting some wood thats not seasoned properly and yes it will effect the taste of the meat . it will give it a bitter taste , my suggetion is to get some wood chips , i have used wood blocks in the past and have had this happen, i still use wood chunks once in a while but i'm careful about how well seasoned they are

Interesting. Wasn’t sure if it was a matter of managing amount of wood in the box or airflow in. I’ve got the dampers wide open right now. Want sure if adjusting that would change things.

Thanks for the feedback!

I’m in the non issue camp. Make sure the chunks you are using are well seasoned but other than that pretty normal. I’ll go so far as to say I believe that short periods of white smoke can enhance flavor on larger cuts of meat. Put your hand over the stack next time for a second then smell it. If it smells good it tastes good. If it smells like a burning house we may need to revisit what’s happening.

I’m in the non issue camp. Make sure the chunks you are using are well seasoned but other than that pretty normal. I’ll go so far as to say I believe that short periods of white smoke can enhance flavor on larger cuts of meat. Put your hand over the stack next time for a second then smell it. If it smells good it tastes good. If it smells like a burning house we may need to revisit what’s happening.
Great tip! The smoker has been pushing smoke into the house all morning and it’s always smelled like hickory goodness. I think I’m OK. Now to figure out why my MEATER plus is about 20 degrees lower ambient than my Maverick probe.

Ahh smoking is so much fun sometimes!! 😀

Reactions: jcam222
if he is using hickory i can tell you it will give a bitter taste , i use a vertical propane smoker and it HAS happened to me more than once

You could try wrapping the chunks in foil to insulate them and slow down the burn rate. Just be sure to poke some holes in the foil.

So you say "typically you always add 2 wood chunks every time" as in you have done this more than once. How has your food tasted like in the past? If you like it then it's a non issue. All of us are different in how much smoke we prefer and from what type of wood.

Ryan

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
So you say "typically you always add 2 wood chunks every time" as in you have done this more than once. How has your food tasted like in the past? If you like it then it's a non issue. All of us are different in how much smoke we prefer and from what type of wood.

Ryan

Ryan
It’s been 2 plus years since I’ve smoked. As I recall last time I did I had the same dynamic. The food never tasted “bad” but not knowing if I’ve had bitter or over smoked pulled pork, I’m not sure if the smoke I get when putting chunks in is bad.

From some of the responses it seems this may be normal-ish and if the white plumes dissipate in 10-15 minutes I should be ok. I hope.

It’s been 2 plus years since I’ve smoked. As I recall last time I did I had the same dynamic. The food never tasted “bad” but not knowing if I’ve had bitter or over smoked pulled pork, I’m not sure if the smoke I get when putting chunks in is bad.

From some of the responses it seems this may be normal-ish and if the white plumes dissipate in 10-15 minutes I should be ok. I hope.
Ok, now I understand! You should be good to go!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky