Whirling Tom for Easter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bakerman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Columbia Maryland
I said I was going to spin a turkey, and I did. A bit late on the post, but that's my fault.
Dry brined for 2 days after a 3 day thaw. Stuffed with apples and onions. Put on the spit at 450-425 degrees for 3 hours. Best, absolutely the very best turkey I have ever eaten in 66 years of my life. This had it all, super juicy, crispy skin, slight smokiness ( chunk of cherry on grill ), and lovely seasoning. Nothing special sprinkled SPG with a sprig of thyme inside.
We had this for Easter dinner. I had a leg of lamb but my wife wanted that for Good Friday. That was prepared in a French Oven. It was also absolutely delicious.

I 've been on a roll (spin) with this rotisserie for a bit. This past weekend I did the Peruvian chicken(s) together with the Aji Amarillo sauce. I posted that meal earlier this year with the recipes included.

Attachments

• 1st.jpg
    1st.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 3rd.jpg
    3rd.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 36
  • eat.jpg
    eat.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 37
That bird looks phenomenal Baker. Great Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Question: About how big a bird was that?

Reactions: bakerman
Nailed it! Yeah, longer brine, spun at higher temp, kiss of smoke: that should be right on. Congrats!

Reactions: bakerman
Thanks all. I am a dry brine guy from here on out. No where near as messy, and the moistness of the meat, especially the breast, makes this my go to from here on out. I was originally worried about the 2nd day brine, but it actually worked better for this bird. The only problem was keeping it safe in my fridge.

If I am going for a flavor profile I will do a wet brine, like my Peruvian birds. Otherwise dry brine. Works great on steak too.

Reactions: zwiller
Thanks all. I am a dry brine guy from here on out. No where near as messy, and the moistness of the meat, especially the breast, makes this my go to from here on out. I was originally worried about the 2nd day brine, but it actually worked better for this bird. The only problem was keeping it safe in my fridge.

If I am going for a flavor profile I will do a wet brine, like my Peruvian birds. Otherwise dry brine. Works great on steak too.
Been dry brining for years now. 2 days is the min for me on poultry. I like 5-7 days. I've tested it. Injecting is actually faster but I like not having to make up the solution and clean the injector. You wanna hold at least overnight if injecting for it to work it's magic. Rubbing immediately before smoking is a fools errand IMO.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/wood-fired-yardbird.314837/

I have a beer fridge so easy for me but if you like this hobby enough find another. Even a used dorm size works.

Congrats on the Feature! Well deserved.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky