Which size offset smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elm

Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Hello BBQ community! After much research I have decided to purchase an LSG offset smoker as my first stick burner. That said, I'm having trouble deciding which size to select. I don't want to go too small, and wish I had gone bigger, nor do I want to go too large, and realize I overdid it. Any thoughts/recommendations? I'm a single guy at the moment but would conceivably use it for a family at some point in the future, Lord willing. Also, I enjoy hosting small gatherings from time to time. So maybe cooking for a maximum of 4-6 adults at one time (and throw in some kids also). And I'm sure I will want some leftovers to boot. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Reactions: JLeonard
I own the 20X36 and it is plenty big for my needs. If pushed you could put a bit on there. The 42 is the same obviously just 6 inches bigger. I have attached a picture (from IG) of a 20x42 loaded. The 24 inch series are much heavier. Have tuning plates (20" doesn't need them). Also a good amount cheaper. All LSG's are built like a tank. Make sure you get the Fire Management Basket. Works awesome and it keeps your fire and coals nice and tight. Good luck on your decision. Also good luck on your wait... it is brutal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210903-184451_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210903-184451_Instagram.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: TNJAKE and elm
Hello BBQ community! After much research I have decided to purchase an as my first stick burner. That said, I'm having trouble deciding which size to select. I don't want to go too small, and wish I had gone bigger, nor do I want to go too large, and realize I overdid it. Any thoughts/recommendations? I'm a single guy at the moment but would conceivably use it for a family at some point in the future, Lord willing. Also, I enjoy hosting small gatherings from time to time. So maybe cooking for a maximum of 4-6 adults at one time (and throw in some kids also). And I'm sure I will want some leftovers to boot. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I really can't see needing more than the 20" x 42" for the number of people you quoted. You can fit a whole lot of grub into that smoker. But then again, it's your money and the fuel load for the next size up isn't going to be that much different, it will burn more but not a dealbreaker in my opinion.

Reactions: elm
I own two offset sokers.

One is a 16" diameter Brinkmann Stillwater, likely built by some folks at Horizon. I added a Horizon baffle plate and charcoal basket, then had an ell fabbed to extend the stack to grate level - just a friction fit gasketed by some heavy duty aluminum foil.

The other is a 24" diameter trailer mounted original Oklahoma Joe's Chuckwagon - combo horizontal & vertical offset. I added a convection plate I designed myself, an additional food rack level in the horizontal section, and two fittings for grate level thermometers.

Both cook well, but working with them over the years, they've convinced me a 20" diameter horizontal offset is the Goldilocks zone.

LSG are a great product. Check out Assassin charcoal grills, they make a 36" and a 48" version. Even though they are called a grill they make an amazing smoker and the price point is much less than a LSG. Check them out on Youtube

I have a 36” Lang, and it has been great for at least 20 people. I also have a couple of other smokers in case I need extra space. The thing about a large offset, is you need a good supply of wood. If I could get free wood I think I would have bought a bigger smoker, but the irony is I have never needed a larger smoker.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky