Which Needle Valve assembly for MB ThermoTemp Smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
I originally posted this in the propane smoker forum, but as there's not much traffic to that one, it hasn't been seen, so posting here.

I have this propane smoker (MD ThermoTemp XL) and it works perfectly fine for most of my needs, but I want to be able to smoke sausages/snack sticks/etc, and it simply won't go low enough for that.

I thought I'd try adding a needle valve, but I have NO IDEA which one to get (high pressure burner, low pressure burner...I don't know which I have). I'd like to be able to simply remove the hose/regulator that came with the smoker and replace it with one that includes a needle valve...you know, screw old assembly off, screw new assembly on.

Could someone please let me know which one I need to get?

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
If I recall correctly, this is the type of regulator/needle valve assembly that others have used to get lower temps for their propane smokers.

Stu

Edit: I'll add a word of caution. Be sure to use a remote therm with HI/LO alarm in the smoker. If the flame goes out, then the therm will alarm out on the temp drop.
Of course you need to shut off the propane at the tank etc and open the smoker door for 5-10 minutes so the gas dissipates.

Last edited:
There is a thread about plugging holes in the burner to help with preventing flame out

I'll add a word of caution. Be sure to use a remote therm with HI/LO alarm in the smoker. If the flame goes out, then the therm will alarm out on the temp drop.
Of course you need to shut off the propane at the tank etc and open the smoker door for 5-10 minutes so the gas dissipates.

I started out with propane for my smokehouse... But to get the temps low enough for sausage/snack sticks the flames were real small... they blew out often... happen to many times and I never felt safe... Once flame goes out it's just pumping raw gas into the smokehouse essentially becoming a ticking timebomb.... So I switched to electric...

That being said.. There are some failsafe builds here that will shut the propane off if the flame does go out.... I just think electric is much easier and you can program the controller to ramp temps up automatically (meaning I could run a batch at night and go to bed)... With gas you would have to turn temps up every hour manually...

For your question.... I don't believe there are specific needle valves for low/high pressure sytems...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky