which blade to use ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
when making country smoked sausage which blade do you use when you grind your boston butt  ? or is it just a matter of personnel preference ?

when making country smoked sausage which blade do you use when you grind your boston butt  ? or is it just a matter of personnel preference ?
Most stick with the medium plate. If you want a finer texture use the fine plate or double grind thru the med plate. The blade stays the same with all the plates.

Your choice.

cal1956...

I would probably use a 1/4" plate, possibly a 3/16" but nothing finer. I'm going to say because it's a "country" style sausage, it should represent what the Old timers made back in the day. Many times they might not have even had a small hand grinder and chopped the meat with a knife to somewhat of a medium-coarse texture. Bear in mind that texture can alter the taste that one's striving for. I no longer grind my bulk breakfast sausage through a 1/8" plate because I don't care for the tight "rubbery" texture that the fine plate imparts to the sausage. The 3/16" plate is fine enough and I believe the taste is better. I do use the 1/8" plate if I'm grinding venison for burger to use in sauces. When grinding for my meatball recipe, I use a 1/8" plate for the venison and a 3/16" for the pork I put with it. I believe the different grinds meld together nicely without causing the texture of the cooked product to seem "rubbery".

Next time you make a batch of your country sausage, make some with a coarser texture and some with a finer and see which finished product you prefer.

SMB

Last edited:
I read somewhere to grind about 1/3 of the meat through a med.-fine plate, grind the remaining meat through a coarser plate... The fine fills the voids, the coarse gives tooth texture to the sausage.. The fat, I grind through the fine plate for a more even distribution, and I grind the fat frozen to stop the smear.... chunk it first...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky