Which 30 inch MES electric to buy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clfergus

Original poster
Jul 23, 2015
Indiana
I had a MES a few years back that came with the fancy window and remote control. I had a few bad runs where my ribs came out chewy after an all day run and a bad briskett that stalled on me so I sold the smoker.

I really wish I would have experimented more and tried things like chicken, jerky, loins and not gave up so soon. 

So I am looking again and my question is which model of the MES has had the best results? I think I would prefer one without the window as that seems like it would hold temps better.

I have been looking at this model from cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mast...CQ_search=smoker&CQ_st=b&categoryId=734095080

And this one from Amazon:

Is there one model that works better than others?

Thanks

The second one from Amazon for sure! That is a Gen-1 and in my opinion better than all the others despite all the other bells and whistles. Pair it up with an AMNPS and a dual remote thermo and you are set.

The first one in your list, I cant tell for sure what generation it is, but the meat probe is almost useless. Get a separate Dual remote such as a Maverick.

Check out these links:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/masterbuilt-electric-smokehouse-models

Last edited:
Your problems may have been w the smoker, OR, you "operator error" on those ribs.

#1 - Bearcarver is among the TOP few most experienced here w a few different Masterbuilt smokers, and w Amazen products, being involved in Product Development. 

Immaculately credible.

That being made clear, my experience / opinion follows.

Me, being a newbie, spent like 100 hours + (honestly) studying pertinent posts to selecting my purchase.

I love to read and study.

I ended up w a 30" Analog Masterbuilt 1500W,  and am very happy.

In my case, lucked out at $120 delivered.

GREAT "bang for the buck".

I would, for myself, NEVER buy Masterbuilt electronics what with their well known common innnacuracies in temp control AND reliability.

Study others experiences here.

For smoking most stuff, what I got it's all you need.

If you want, add an AMNPS pellet tray  for multi hour brisket, pork butt like.stuff, but not necessary, but for notable walk away unattended convenience, eliminating need to feed wood for hours, possibly up to like 10 + hours, a good loooong  for like brisket smoke.

Otherwise for couple hour smokes at like 200-250 or so, (it does go up to 290 for poultry skin, depending on weather) NO need for the AMNPS, just fill stock factory chip tray 2-4 times.

And add a good standalone remote read thermometer (a whole nuther subject selecting that) but alll the info you need is on this Forum if you search.

The above will cook all you want, other than hommemade sausage and other products that need lower and/or more tightly controlled than typical temps.

ONLY IF, and when you need that, Then, you add an Auber standalone plug and play control, w very historied excellent reliability and accuracy.

You need to do your reading, in this "Electric smokers " sub forum mostly, to understand the decision.   

So much info here on this Forum from people that have walked the path before you.

Anyway, I say, get the Masterbuilt analog at your best sourced price, (Used to be Walmart, but prices change daily) and also either a Maverick wireless thermometer OR Thermoworks "Smoke". Search and read about that, and decide.

There are a few different models, the box, heater, all the same but # of shelves may differ.

Unless you are doing like jerky or a MULTITUDE of chicken wings, like 3 shelves is all you need.

Really, all the room that this cabinet has, if the meat has a a big vertical height like whole chickens, pork butt, etc.

And considering reasonably free air/ heat movement.

Two for meat, one for drip pan.   

That will do most meats, w possibility again of AMNPS for longgg multihour smokes.          Marc

Last edited:
All true, but if you search, you will see if you contact MSTERBUILT AND NOT BITCH LIKE A feral cAVEMAN BUT BE FIRM, YOU CAN GET often get at no cost REPLACEMENT PARTS AFTER WARRRANTY.

aYE, ALL CAPS.

But don't even go there, not  getting one w electronics,  to begin with.    Marc

Last edited:

All true, but if you search, you will see if you contact MSTERBUILT AND NOT BITCH LIKE A feral cAVEMAN BUT BE FIRM, YOU CAN GET often get at no cost REPLACEMENT PARTS AFTER WARRRANTY.

aYE, ALL CAPS.

But don't even go there, not  getting one w electronics,  to begin with.    Marc
Yup---It's the roll of the dice, but they replace bad electronics when you get one, and like you say they help a lot of the time even after the Warranty is over.

I'm 4 for 4 with good electronics in my units. Only one I don't like is the one Gen #2 I tested, but that's a matter of design.

The reason I like the Digital better is they have remote control, they're insulated, and I love the glass window in the door.

I know a lot of people have the Analog & love them, but the same goes for the Digitals---Just A matter of preference.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky