Where to find lump charcoal?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flyfishjeep

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
St Petersburg FL
Do most of you guys/gals get your lump charcoal at Lowe's or are there other places to get it?  I'm in East TN and haven't really seen much other than regular Kingsford Charcoal. 

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Thanks everyone.

I've seen lump at Lowe's (cowboy brand I think and not highly thought of if I'm correct).  I've also seen different brands at GFS, Sam's Club, Meijer and even Wal-Mart.

I've not used it myself but one of these days I'll try it on my Performer for a couple of steaks or something.

I understand that it can run a bit hotter so I'd want to get some cooks under my belt before I tried it in the smoker for a long run.

I would stay away from the Cowboy... if you have a choice. Look around and see if you can find Royal Oak lump charcoal - it comes in a red bag, and on the back near the bar code it will say "Made in the USA". Cowboy burns very hot, but also very fast, and they seem to have some quality controll issues with foriegn objects in the bag or not completely charcolized wood. The Royal Oak is a great product that is very consistant and works well, a lot of people use it with good results.

With lump in a smoker just remember to damp it a little sooner than with briquets, otherwise the temperature will get away from you and shoot up real high. Once the temp gets away from you it is a pain to bring it back down.

Thanks everyone for the heads up on the cowboy brand.  I will be looking for the royal oak or the kingsford lump.  I don't see anyone in the area that has Royal oak available, but I will be keeping my eyes open.

If anyone in East TN has a reference for Royal Oak or another brand that you have had success with please let me know.

Thanks again

Most people can get Royal Oak at Wal-Mart, although the two in my area are out. Sam's Club sells Frontier brand in many parts of the country, it gets good reviews from those that use it. You can also order it at Ace Hardware for delivery to the store. Here is a link to the nakedwhiz charcoal review site that you may find helpful.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

The family and I were out for some ice cream and so I decided to check out the Wally World on that side of town and BAM!  Royal Oak-USA made was in well supply.  Grabbed 3 bags to hold me over for a short time.  Thanks again everyone!

I too live in Knoxville and have no problem finding lump coal.

Pretty much the only place you won't find it is Wally World, Target and/or K-mart

Kroger has their own store brand and it works fine (and priced nicely). I think the other grocery stores also carry lump.

Ace Hardware

Hearth & Patio (although I haven't been in their store for a couple years)

Home of D-Po & BLowes 
icon_mrgreen.gif

I heard (read on the internet, so you know it's true
icon_smile.gif
 ) that the Kroger brand is made by Royal Oak company.

Last edited:
What is the best way to store my charcoal? I was thinking of getting a big rubber made tub and emptying 4 or 5 bags into it it save for this fall and early winter. Is this a good idea? This is my first year smoking and I am worried they will stop carrying the Royal Oak at my Wal-Mart soon. Thanks for any help! 
icon_razz.gif

If you have a Menards close they have the green bag royal oak...my Wally has been out of red bag RO since i bought the last early spring. 

Duffman-I have similar concerns about storing charcoal. Most folks say never store in metal can because they will sweat inside and moisten the lumps. I've been smoking in W Oregon all winter and have not suffered that consequence from my galvanized cans. Of course, I go through four bags of various charcoal every week so maybe it doesn't stay in the cans long enough to get moldy
icon_mrgreen.gif

Duffman-I have similar concerns about storing charcoal. Most folks say never store in metal can because they will sweat inside and moisten the lumps. I've been smoking in W Oregon all winter and have not suffered that consequence from my galvanized cans. Of course, I go through four bags of various charcoal every week so maybe it doesn't stay in the cans long enough to get moldy
icon_mrgreen.gif
I'm in rainy oregon as well, and I find the best thing is just to keep it in the garage. I tried cans outdoors under the porch, but it did get damp eventually.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky