Where to cut the CC door?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

12ring

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
New Mexico
I'm going to have questions because I'm new to building smoker. I don't know if I should start new threads when it's a totally different question of keep one thread and ask my questions in there.

My CC pipe is 18.5" diameter. My opening from CC to FB is 7.25" in the shape of a football. I have read that some guys cut the top of the door at 12:00 on the pipe and the bottom of the door at 3:00 on the pipe. If I do that, and keep my cooking grate level with the bottom of the door, the grates will be approx 2" above the top part of the opening from CC to FB. Does that sound about right? Thanks.

With that small diameter cook chamber I would cut the top of door at 12 o'clock. Otherwise it will be a very small door, and difficult to get larger meats into. You want space above the food but you don't want to hit your hands or the food on there either. My 60 gallon cooker is 20" diameter and there's only 9" from grate to top of CC. I cut my door at 12, if I had gone lower the height available to put food in would have been to small IMO.

Kyle

Ahumadora, your smoker is actually the reason I decided to start building one. I love it. Its very clean work. I wish I had the skills to build one like that. And I love the FB door.

I don't know if it matter but my CC outside diameter is 19.25" not 18.5". The inside is 18.5". Where should I cut the bottom of the door? 3:00? I would love to have the option of 2 grates but only 1 will be needed 95% of he time.

I agree cut below the 3oclock mark. If your planing on using one inch angle or tube for your grate. Cut one inch below 3 so your grate level is at 3. That's where you get max grate space.

Kyle

On an 18" pipe I would make my top cut at 12 and my bottom cut 1" below 3. The only time I cut below 12 on my top cut is when the diameter is 30" or more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky