When to inject pork butt (pics added)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wrapped at IT of 165. Took around 5hrs and some change to reach. Now waiting for it to finish up. Will post finished product. Decided not to inject after the information you guys gave me.

9ACE0F8C-A62B-4FAF-801A-71478B734953.jpeg

Came out really good. Adding more rub after pulling really gave it a great flavor.

It came out looking great. I agree about the vinegar, if you inject any in the future. I’d go easy on it, and not too long before cooking. I’ve turned pork into mush injecting too much for too long. But, you live and you learn. That shoulder looks pretty delicious just the way it is!

We did the tour of champions last year at Memphis in May. We were on the pulled pork category, and at each stop we had a Q&A session with the pit master. Every one of them injected and I asked each when they inject, and the answer was always about 2 hours before going in the smoker. None of them injected overnight. So take that for what its worth.

Between that and my own experiences and my injection recipe. I have moved to the 2 hour or even right before going in camp. Like NoBoundiers, I find if I inject overnight, what I am really doing in wet brining half the night. A lot of my pork I do a Mojo injection, and the pineapple can start to make the injection area mushy if done overnight.

The smoker is "sweating" the liquid out of the meat, so it is pulling it through the meat as it smokes and helping to distribute the flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky