When summer sausage stalls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbo_c

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
At what point do you stop waiting for it to hit 152?

I had a SS in the oven for almost 8 hours before it hit temp last week. (And I was ready to go to sleep.)

It was at lower temp way long enough to meet the kill time temp requirement for the lower temps. What if you pull it out and go to bed rather than wait? Is the texture off? Less shelf life? What?

Just wondering.

Jbo

SS Stall happens in the 140 temps, normally for an hour.

8 hours is long enuff for SS depending on how much is in your smoker. IE if you have a smoker that says 30 pounds you wont be able to smoke 30lbs in 8 hours. A 10 pound batch could take 8+

What was the IT of your SS when you went to bed?

Shelf like is only a week vac sealed, once you open it should go in the fridge. putting your SS in a ziplock and on the counter will not be shelf stable unless you used cure 2 or another form of lowing the pH.

I cold smoked for 6 hours first, then moved to oven to cook. Took it 2+ hours to go from 144F to 152 with the oven temp at 170.
So the question was, at 142 it really only needed 8 minutes for the kill. So was there really a need to wait over two hours for it to get to 152? And what would be the impact to the product if you didn’t wait?
Jbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky