When should I wrap brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binnesman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 23, 2021
Hit stall been at the 157 mark for awhile 15 lbs brisket started at 10:15pm at 230 pretty steady on my pellet smoker. Been spritzing with apple cider vinegar and the brisket has so great color now. When should I wrap ? was going to wait to 165 and then turn up smoker to 250. Any suggestions

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 41
Going to wrap mine in butcher paper and beef tallow that I smoked.

Reactions: ConrodM
I saw your other post about the stall. I’d wrap it now, crank it up to 250 or so and let it run its course. What time are you serving it?

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Sorry but I belong to the never wrap group. Opening the smoker to spritz is also killing your cooking time. If your looking your not cooking. My $.02

Warren

If it's been in the stall for an hour or more and your intention is to wrap in BP, then I would say you can do so anytime. Nothing wrong with bumping the temp as well. Just make sure you have the probe back in the center of the thickest part of the flat and keep monitoring. HalfSmoked HalfSmoked is right, the continual opening of the smoker to spritz really creates large temp swings which hinders progress.

I agree with the other posters. Wrap when the bark is how you like it. Sometimes I wrap and sometimes leave it naked. Crank up the heat if the bark meets your satisfaction to get through the stall. Once I get the bark the way I want it I crank up the heat to 275. Remember every time you spritz you are adding moisture to the meat.

Hear is 1 way Malcolm Reed at Howtobbqright does it

1. Prepare offset Bbq pit for indirect cooking at 275 degrees using splits of Pecan wood for fuel. (Any style pit can be substituted just maintain 275 degrees)
  2. Remove brisket from cryovac packaging and blot excess moisture with paper towel. Trim excess fat to 1/4”. Remove sinew (silver skin) from flat and any discolored meat around the edges.
  3. Combine Kosher Salt and Black Pepper and liberally coat all sides of the brisket then add a light layer of Killer Hogs Hot Rub.
  4. Place the brisket fat side down on the Bbq pit and smoke until the outside begins to turn dark (about 170 degrees internal).
  5. Wrap the brisket in pink butchers paper and insert a probe thermometer into the thickest portion of the flat.
  6. Place the brisket back on the pit and continue to cook until internal temperature reaches 202-204 degrees.
  7. Rest the brisket in a dry cooler for a minimum of 1 hour before slicing.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConrodM
Temp at 192 will stick the thermal energy in around 197 see how it feels but looks like it’s turning out to be a 12 hr cook.

Just pulled it it was 202 all the around and probe went in easy wrapped it in the towels and it’s in the cooler going to rest 6 hrs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky