When can I add Encapsulated Citric Acid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Braz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 25, 2017
Indiana
Making summer sausage. In the past I have mixed the meat and spices, then let it rest refrigerated overnight. Next day I add the ECA right before stuffing and going directly to the smoker.

This time due to a timing issue I'd like to mix, add the ECA and stuff then let it rest overnight. Will this be OK or will it cause the ECA to release too early?

TIA

I don't use it , but I think it releases at 140 degrees . So I think if you stuff and hold in fridge you're OK. People get in trouble when they add and re grind .
Not a direct answer but might back up what you're thinking .

Reactions: indaswamp
I would not add the ECA and then refrigerate overnight. If the ECA leaks out of the fat capsules, it will basically ruin the meat texture. It will be greyish and mealy if it does.

It only takes a minute to hand mix in the ECA with a little cold water (to loosen the meat mix some for stuffing).

Reactions: crazymoon
I would not add the ECA and then refrigerate overnight. If the ECA leaks out of the fat capsules, it will basically ruin the meat texture. It will be greyish and mealy if it does.

It only takes a minute to hand mix in the ECA with a little cold water (to loosen the meat mix some for stuffing).

I'm with you. This is exactly what I do with the snack sticks I use eca in. I never add it til right before smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky