What's your flat top looking like?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bytor

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 16, 2020
So, I've had my Blackstone for close to 5 months now and love it. I tend to use it more than cooking in the kitchen and using pots and pans, plus it keeps the house from smelling like a cookhouse all of the time, not that there's anything wrong with that... I think I clean up pretty good after every cook and what not, but was wondering how other tops look after they have been put to continuous use. I have noticed that I will get some thin spots on the seasoning layer, but has no impact on cooking and seems to get built back with additional cooks, especially with bacon.

Blackstone top.jpg

Had mine for a year and half i think. I keep it in the barn in a box.

Mine looks about the same. We use our a lot also.
What do you use to clean it?
I will usually only scrape it down with a spatula and then follow up with a wipe up with some paper towels then maybe a final wipe with a cotton cloth if needed. After a few cooks, I will spray some water on it, scrape and dry off while pretty warm. I will follow that up with a little flax seed oil and do a quick bake in. If I'm cooking fish, or something sticky like stir-fry, I will hit it with water and repeat the cleaning process.

Mine is 4-5 years old and even heavy oil it wants to try to rust in a few spots, if i used it more often it wouldn’t probably

Mines a couple years old . Don't use it as much as I would like . I turn mine to high after a cook and steam it off . Let that dry then hit it with veg oil . I didn't have the best luck with flax for some reason .

Reactions: jcam222
Been really thinking about a flat top for a while.

I've been using a cast iron skillet over a propane burner for years but its getting time to move onto a little easier way of cooking outside.

Reactions: chopsaw
Got mine back in April. Haven't cleaned it once. Just scrape a little and put down some oil and wipe off. Haven't had anything stick yet. I use mine a ton though

Reactions: Cabo
Mines a couple years old . Don't use it as much as I would like . I turn mine to high after a cook and steam it off . Let that dry then hit it with veg oil . I didn't have the best luck with flax for some reason .
I verbally do the same. I push any big stuff off with my spatula. I squirt water all over it and push that off with spatula. Lastly I soak a rag in water and using tongs wipe down the whole top then oil. Takes just minutes start to finish.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky