What's your biggest BBQ challenge?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maverick88

Original poster
Mar 5, 2016
Gainesville, GA
Hey Folks, 

I'm new to this particular forum, but I've been smoking meat for about 15 years since I was a teenager in Kentucky. At this point, I'm pretty sure that if you cut me, BBQ sauce would start bleeding out of my veins. What kind is probably up for debate... probably some weird combination of the Worcestershire based stuff from home or something ketchup or peach based as I currently live in Georgia. 

I'm curious for those of you on the ring, what about BBQ do you find the hardest? Where do you get the biggest challenge? I'm curious for both pros and folks who are new to the craft. 

I'm especially interested in hearing from new folks who are just getting started -- what has been the hardest thing about starting out?

Reactions: bauchjw
For me the biggest (and yet to be overcome) challenge is cooking pork chops so they are juicy.  No problem with tenderloin, loin,butt.  But not pork chops.  
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Gary

Patience during long low and slow cooks is still my biggest challenge. I am not a patient person normally so combine that with still learning how long a cook will really take, deciding or sometimes guessing when to have the dinner guest arrive and then having a delay in the finish time and I am sometimes a mental mess by the end of the night...
Oh wait bbqing is supposed to be fun right:)

Patience during long low and slow cooks is still my biggest challenge. I am not a patient person normally so combine that with still learning how long a cook will really take, deciding or sometimes guessing when to have the dinner guest arrive and then having a delay in the finish time and I am sometimes a mental mess by the end of the night...
Oh wait bbqing is supposed to be fun right:)
This will go away if you start cooking at higher temps, in the 280°-325° range. Cooking at higher temps make butt and brisket cooks more predictable in terms of when the meat will be done. It also results in a better finished product IMHO. Just say no to "low and slow" and you'll have an easier time, more fun and less anxiety about not being "done" on time.

My biggest challenge lately is being able to afford to cook, but now that gas prices are headed down and heating season is winding up that should improve.

All threads need a gratuitous BBQ pic-

Most everything in the smoker was a challenge to provide consistency for me until recently.  I had a couple "events" while reading many articles on this site that made big changes for me.  I was cooking a brisket one cold night and after a few beers I guess I forgot to set my two hour check timer.  Woke up the next morning several hours past my expected take off time, The coals had burned out and the cold air had brought the brisked down to near freezing.  That turned out to be the best brisket I had smoked ever.  Wonder why?

The second event was when I was going to put a pork butt in the cooler for an hour while running a short errand that did not turn out so well.  5 hours later when I took it out of the cooler it was still steaming.  Again very juicy and tender.  Wonder why?

I was leery of smoking almost anything too long.  I thought my meat was tough because I had overcooked it.  Scouring this site gave me a lot of in site.  Now I smoke virtually everything at 225.  Put it on and forget it till the IT beeper goes off.  Low and Slow works for me.

Changing my habits to only cooking to internal temp completely changed my product.   Also cooking two almost identical pork butts side by side rotating them and them being done over an hour apart woke me up to the fact that every piece of meat will cook differently.. 

Yes you can approximate time it should take to smoke, but it may be off a couple hours one way or the other on a larger piece of meat.  I have found by getting the meat done plenty early for an event I can put a large brisket or PB in a cooler for up to 5 hours if I need to and it will still be almost too hot to handle.

When cooking explicitly for a special meal, I get it ready early.  Keep in the resting cooler it appropriate or reheat if necessary.  Your life will be much easier with a lot less stress..

You can always throw in some small predictable appetizers to be ready when your company arrives to make sure the air smells appropriate when you open the lid.

Good luck with your smokes, just keep practicing, it keeps getting better.

Hardest part for me is temp control and the patience to let it adjust. I prefer instantaneous results and that is exactly opposite of smoking in general. Other than that, the hardest part is portion control!

Reactions: rabbithutch
My biggest challenge is definitely chicken wings.  I've only tried it a couple times, but each time they usually came out too bitter.  I'm assuming it was taking on too much smoke and getting soot (is that how you spell it?) on it.  That plus the one time I added a little bit of garlic in the rub, and it probably ran too hot causing the garlic to become bitter.  The other challenge for me is being able to able to afford it, mainly beef.  Around my area beef is so expensive.  Just for a whole brisket it runs around $90.

Meal planning done by grilling, smoking or in the kitchen, all depends upon the "cook" knowledge and practice.

Culinary knowledge is not gained by osmosis. It is a discipline all to its own for any type food preparation. We

(hobby chefs) must be concerned with the ethics of protecting our dishes through proper preparation cleanliness

and proper temperatures observed through out the entire time from beginning to serving. There are many articles

and books for one to study about all of the absolutes in food preparation. Be sure to acquire any and all of these

important materials to make yourself more of a trusted hobby chef.

Keeping your smoked dish warm and fresh can be hard unless one accepts the fact that using

an oven too is not bad karma. Prepare your smoked items as usual on the outside smoker, then

it can be foil wrapped and placed in the oven at 165-200f. Use an aluminum roasting pan like we

place our turkey in, lay the wrapped meat in that and add a small amount of water to the pan for

moisture. It also is not a sin to finish your meat item in the oven once you have the smoke and

bark effect accomplished. The fun and humor will evolve as you realize the simplicity is what

makes for good meals. If you're not sure about a particular idea, then use a small piece of meat

(whatever it is) add your rub, or other seasoning that you're in question about and cook it. You

can always eat your mistakes or the dog will out willingly too!! HA! Be sure to ask others about

the idea you have. One idea I have thought about is going to your favorite Q restaurant and ask

about a part-time job. If you're not too obvious about your intent, you may be able to learn a lot

about the business especially when you're working in and around "THE PIT." Even busing the

tables you're bound to learn something. Point is, don't be too proud to ask and learn. 

Every body every where need to adapt their cooking to the local factors. 

The "ambient temperature" is critical to smoke cooking. Higher temps

may be recommended on some dishes but not all. I just did a local

preparation on Friday cooking two 8lb Pork Shoulders and 1/2 pork loin.

I got the temp started just above 200f and then brought it up to 350f.

Then the temp came back down to 225f. This was all over a 5 hour

period. When I had the bark and smoke done, I wrapped all items then

let them finish in the oven near 280f to make certain the interior was

cooked to the minimum of 170f to 180f. The result was done, moist

and flavorful meats at 175f when I took it from the oven and got it

prepped for the delivery process. The aluminum roasting pans were

still hot, the meat was moist and bounding with flavor....It's a study

of all elements that goes into the process. Watch, Read, study and

practice. Good Cooking to the "Hobby Chef's" out there.

Consistency. For 2 reasons.

First, No matter how accurate I keep my temps, rubs, types of ribs etc... I rarely get the same exact taste/texture.

Second is recipes. I googled bacon and found amazing ribs website. I loved that stuff was explained in full. The difference in curing salt #1 and #2, why to use the #1, why he doesn't recommend cold smoking, temps to achieve, how long to cure, etc... When I asked about it on another website though? Holy spit! The results were-
I always cold smoke
I use tender quick
I dry cure
165 is way too hot. You'll render out all the fat!
135*
I cold smoke for 72 hrs straight
Cold smoke for 8hrs a day for 7 days
I cold smoke for 6hrs then gradually increase the heat till it's 140*
I cold smoke for 4hrs then increase till the temp is 137*...

Cold smoking cheese -
1hr
1.5hrs
2hrs
2.5hrs
4hrs
6hrs
Hickory is too strong.
I only use hickory.
It taste like an ashtray the day of, seal it up for 2 weeks.
Mine taste great the next day.
Let it mellow out for 2 weeks.
Let it mellow out for at least a month.
Let it mellow out for 6 months.
... A year!

What the hell? I'm just looking for a starting point!

Last edited:
My biggest BBQ challenge is going to work and not staying home and firing up Black Betty (my lang 36) everyday!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Consistency. For 2 reasons.

First, No matter how accurate I keep my temps, rubs, types of ribs etc... I rarely get the same exact taste/texture.

Second is recipes. I googled bacon and found amazing ribs website. I loved that stuff was explained in full. The difference in curing salt #1 and #2, why to use the #1, why he doesn't recommend cold smoking, temps to achieve, how long to cure, etc... When I asked about it on another website though? Holy spit! The results were-
I always cold smoke
I use tender quick
I dry cure
165 is way too hot. You'll render out all the fat!
135*
I cold smoke for 72 hrs straight
Cold smoke for 8hrs a day for 7 days
I cold smoke for 6hrs then gradually increase the heat till it's 140*
I cold smoke for 4hrs then increase till the temp is 137*...

Cold smoking cheese -
1hr
1.5hrs
2hrs
2.5hrs
4hrs
6hrs
Hickory is too strong.
I only use hickory.
It taste like an ashtray the day of, seal it up for 2 weeks.
Mine taste great the next day.
Let it mellow out for 2 weeks.
Let it mellow out for at least a month.
Let it mellow out for 6 months.
... A year!

What the hell? I'm just looking for a starting point!
Here are some starting points for a lot of things:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky