Whats the highest (air ) temperature you could cold smoke bacon at?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I am not experienced with cold smoking in warm weather. I do all my cold smoking Nov-April.
But i got a cured loin ready to smoke (cold). Temps will stay below 15C tonight until early morning. Safe to go at it?

I cold smoked bacon the other day and it was in 80s. Smoker was under cover and out of sunlight. I used an aluminum pan filled with ice and rock salt with another pan full of ice and salt on top of that. Placed a wire rack on that and put bacon on. It stayed cold the whole 6hr

That is a perfect temp. You just want to keep the CC below 90 F. If it starts to approach 90, then I would put a couple of frozen milk jugs in there to cool it down. When we make Canadian bacon we always hot smoke it to an IT of 140. That way you can just nuke it for 10 seconds & it’s ready to eat.
Al

Thank you guys. I forgot about the trick of cooling the CC with ice. High temps is usually not a concern when i cold smoke. Keeping the meat from freezing is.

Is there a temp that is too low for smoking? Say it is 45° F, is that too low?
If u don't have a draft you will get stale smoke and bad flavor from it.
So ensure that no matter that temp u cold smoke that you get create or have sufficient draft and oxygen flow :)

If u don't have a draft you will get stale smoke and bad flavor from it.
So ensure that no matter that temp u cold smoke that you get create or have sufficient draft and oxygen flow :)
This is why I do not recommend ice inside the smokehouse when it is hot outside to try and cold smoke when it is hot...no draft because the smokehouse air is colder than ambient temp.
BUT, this can be successful IF you use an artificial draft from fans....

Reactions: tallbm
If I have to cold smoke when it's hot out I put a sprinkler on top of my smokehouse. My smokehouse sits in the sun and that metal roof gets real hot in the sun. I also cold smoke at night sometimes to get some cooler ambient temps

Let's rephrase this question and ask what is the IDEAL temperature to cold smoke bacon? I have about 2 more months of winter and have a stove element on a t-stat in my BGE so I can set whatever temp is best. Ambient is about freezing +/- 5 degrees. Smoking 1/4 slab bellies.

Thanks

Let's rephrase this question and ask what is the IDEAL temperature to cold smoke bacon? I have about 2 more months of winter and have a stove element on a t-stat in my BGE so I can set whatever temp is best. Ambient is about freezing +/- 5 degrees. Smoking 1/4 slab bellies.

Thanks
Above 30F and below 80F it’s a range.

Thanks guys!

While I have two gurus ears, I am thinking of light smoke for 2-3 days on average size 1/4 slab 2lb bellies, does this sound okay? I am using wood chips instead of pellets, I just like the smell/flavor better. Hickory and apple.

thx

^^^^^that...

with the "ideal range" being 50-60*F.....
This is the ideal range of temperature.
Thanks guys!

While I have two gurus ears, I am thinking of light smoke for 2-3 days on average size 1/4 slab 2lb bellies, does this sound okay? I am using wood chips instead of pellets, I just like the smell/flavor better. Hickory and apple.

thx
This will work perfectly with in the temp range. Carry on.

Reactions: DougE and kilohertz
I smoke four nights in a row...12 hours per night (live in the warm south so cooler at night to smoke), with a rest in the fridge between smokes. You will get better smoke using dust to cold smoke FWIW....won't be bitter.
At Keith's suggestion, I have been running dust in my tubes for awhile now, and I really like the results! Cleaner smoke and the burning dust generates less heat than pellets.

Thanks boys, I really appreciate the help.

I know I have a broken 40lb bag of hardwood sawdust in the leanto, I bought it years ago but never got around to using it, hopefully will be some usable still in it, otherwise I have a week to find more.

Thank again!

cheers

ps when you say "tube" you're referring to the pellet smoking tubes, perf'd all the way around? I have one, as well as 2 mazes. thx

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky