What's the craziest thing you've put on the smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maconmatt

Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Macon, Georgia
I think for me it was chili. I did everything identical to if I was going to make a pot of chili over the stove. But instead, I placed it in my smoker on low heat and cooked it for several hours. It turned out really well! A bit thicker than usual, but it had a really good taste to it.

My daughter thought I was crazy when she saw me place some fresh pineapple slices in to the smoker. Sprinkled some raw sugar on 'em and smoked 'em with some maple chunks. Served 'em up hot off the smoker with some vanilla ice cream. Normally she just yaks away while she's eating but for this dessert she was a quiet as a church mouse! :D

You want to see some WIERD stuff, check out the ground hog and raccoon discussions in the Wild Game Forum. :P

Smoked Stuffed Apples. I usually do these over the campfire or in the oven but they turned out pretty good on the smoker. I like that pineapple idea Dutch, I'm going to give that one a try.

Smoked Stuffed Apples. I usually do these over the campfire or in the oven but they turned out pretty good on the smoker.

Jlloyd, You have to let use know what you put in these?, what apples do you use?

Matt

Thanks Bill, apparently my wife liked it too-she brought a pineapple home from the store and wants me do smoke it on Father's Day so the rest of the family can have a taste at how good it is.

Matt,
Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. I use a McIntosh apple if I'm in a hurry or Granny Smiths if there going to be on the heat for very long. I core them out and stuff with a mixture of brown sugar, butter, oats, rasins/crasins, and some nuts if I have them handy. It's basically like an apple crisp but the crumble topping is stuffed into the apple. Serve with Ice Cream, yum! (I may have posted the actual recipe over in the dessert section but I'm not sure...)

I haven't done the smoked pineapple, but I grilled them for our memorial day cookouts. Here is the recipe that I used:

1 Pineapple
1 cup dark rum
1 cup of butter - no margarine
1/4 cup of worchestshire sauce
1/8 cup of lime juice
1/2 cup of honey

Cut the pineapple into your chosen shape, making sure to cut out the core. I prefer pineapple boats, but I have also used canned rings with good results. Set pineapple aside.

Melt butter in a non-reactive pan, I used a stainless steel pan. I am really not sure what a reactive pan is, but I am sure I would have found out.
Add the rest of the ingredients, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes until it starts to thicken up a bit.

Pour over the pineapple, and let it soak in the juices for a bit. I let them sit for about an hour for the pineapple boats, and about 10 minutes for the rings.

Put on a good hot grill, or in the smoker, for a bit, about 2 minutes on each side in the grill was fine, but that was about 350 deg. I would expect 10 to 20 minutes on the smoker at 225.

Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky