whats for dinner this weekend

Discussion in 'Meat Selection and Processing' started by six gun smokin, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Im smoking a prime rib Saturday with a bunch if friends, then Sunday doing a couple of chickens for some family coming over and don't forget some beers

2. pgsmoker64

pgsmoker64 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

My son Trevor (Jr. Pitmaster) and I will be smoking a couple of pork butts tomorrow for pulled pork! 

Be sure to check out our q-view tomorrow evening.  Here is a sample: a 7 pounder rubbed down before wrapping and refrigerating!

Bill

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  3. snorkelinggirl

snorkelinggirl Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Six gun and Bill,

Your plans sound great!  Looking forward to the Q-view. 

I'm smoking a couple of fatties on Sunday using some mozzarella that I smoked a few weeks ago. I tasted the mozzarella today and it was great. Should be delicious inside a fatty.

4. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

I want to smoke a PR myself, but don't have one in the freezer, and Mrs. Red has looked in 3 area meat departments to no avail.  I may have to make a road trip to Tulsa tomorrow...
    Bill, I look forward to Trevor's Qview!  I think it's very cool that he's getting into this pastime with you.  Makes me nostalgic for when my sons were that age.

5. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Here ya go ,Sixgun. -

Three Briskets for the gang... about 18hrs. cooking time. What will I do , you ask...

Well first I plan to start approx. 6a.m. , open the Cryo-paks and rinse the meat.  Dry it , season with , S/P , O, G ,Wrapped in Butcher paper and taken out to the Pre-heated Smoker and placed in a 225* environment to soak-up smoke for 1 hr. Then I will insert the Mavericks and close for 6 hrs. I feel the one on the Left will have the amt. of Smoke the Wife's Folks want- wrap it and finish there in the Smoker ( might as well use those BTU's).

I'll leave them in until they reach 200* IMT. Now I have only two Mavericks , so I'll probe the bigger one in the center last to track it's temp. till done. The other 2 will have been pulled by then, (unless they have a heck of a stall).

I should have a lot of shots as Trish volunteered to take Q-view... We'll see.

Meanwhile as it all cooks... I'll make my Table Sauce and then a batch of Fajita Sop(marinade for the less informed) and my Pico-de-Gallo.

I'll have visitors by all day and the Smoke will tempt some to stop by and see what's up. By evening I will have trapped(Oops,I mean) invited some one to talk the night away , as I feed the Smoker and let the love develop in the meat. Using Hickory and maybe some Cherry , NO, Apple , the Cherry is for my Ribs next cook .

Keep tuned , it's almost showtime...[​IMG]  Have fun and...

6. pgsmoker64

Thanks Red!  He's convinced he's going to open a restaurant one day and I'll be his cook....I hate to tell him that I don't want to work that hard!  [​IMG]   LOL

7. comosmoker

comosmoker Smoke Blower

I can't wait to see the Q-views!!!!

8. Smokin my first brisket tomorrow morning! She's a baby I wanted to start out with a small flat because a) it's my first brisket and b) my first real smoke on my newly modified master forge charcoal grill turned smoker combo!

9. That all looks and sounds awesome

10. Prime rib turned out good, it was super windy sat hard time keeping the temp down, I did 4 beer can chickens today came out awesome

11. pgsmoker64

Sorry, I ain't takin your word for it!  You gotta prove it man!!!!

[​IMG]

12. My brisket with q view is under beef! Check it out!!!

13. snorkelinggirl

snorkelinggirl Master of the Pit OTBS Member

So Sunday night's dinner with friends went over great.  I served a couple of fatties filled with sauteed mushrooms, shallots, spinach, and smoked mozzarella. Along with it some smoked deviled eggs, mashed yukon golds with caramelized onions, and green salad.  Dessert was a raspberry fruit crisp with ice cream.  I'm starting to develop a little confidence as a smoker!!  Our friends demanded to take home leftover fatty.  There is no better compliment!       

Couldn't have done it without this forum. Thanks all you guys and girls!!  Hope everyone has a great week!

Clarissa 

14. I will get pics next time, forgot