What's a Fatty?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yep, pretty much a stuffed meatloaf, but they're also traditionally bacon wrapped.

Generally they're pork sausage stuffed with anything you like and all wrapped up in bacon.
The sausage can be stuffed in a manner to give single center or rolled to give a pinwheel effect when cut.
Bacon can be weaved or simply wrapped around.
Stuffing is anything your tongue desires.

uxEhg9b.jpg

Then there are Stuffed Moinks, they're like mini round fatties.
Think a big stuffed meatball wrapped in bacon, these are traditionally ground beef so with the bacon you get the Mooo-Oink!
The original Moinks are simply the small frozen meatballs with wrap of bacon, cooked up and glazed with BBQ sauce.

NcgJpNT.jpg

MdT9wFr.jpg

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Basically it’s ground meat rolled up with whatever your imagination comes up with, wrapped in bacon. Typically a cardiologist’s nightmare, but Oh so good!
Give one a try. The bacon weave isn’t really all that hard.
When you can’t decide what you want to smoke, make a Fattie!

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
If you use thin cut bacon and high heat (275'-300') I find that the underlying bacon in the weave gets cooked enough.
You can also simply wrap instead of weave which solves the problem.
And lastly you can cheat, once your fatty is 99% done slip it under a broiler and crisp all that bacon up real good. You can roll it it around to crisp it all. This works on a hot grill too, but take care not burn it.

What's a good temp to set my MES at if I want to do a 1 to 1 and a quarter pound fatty? How much time? Around 3 hours? Would you make the fatty and refrigerate it overnight?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky