What type of beef is this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrthor2

Original poster
May 25, 2019
Hi guys.

I have a piece of beef that I'm not exactly sure what it is. It is labeled as a Stead Roast on the zip loc bag, but want to make sure that's what is is, and suggestions on smoking.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• roast 1.jpg
    roast 1.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 61
  • roast 2.jpg
    roast 2.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 62
OK, well, it's what I was given. Really, I can't do anything with it that will turn out edible for humans?

OK, well, it's what I was given. Really, I can't do anything with it that will turn out edible for humans?
It's severely freezer burned. It's "safe" to eat but isn't gonna taste very good. Personally I'd pitch it. It certainly won't hurt you though seeing as if it was frozen and thawed properly.

Look like half an Eye Round. Yes it has Freezer Burn but that can be removed.
Unless you can Sous Vide the thing for 24 hours, it's a pretty tough cut of meat. It would probably be good cut in 1.5" chunks and smoked for Burnt Ends. As above, grinding it with 5 pounds of Fatty Chuck Roast would make great Burgers. In any event, I would make something rather than toss it. Even Soup, Stew, Chili or Barbacoa for Tacos...JJ

I think I cut off the freezer burn & grind it with a pound or 2 of pork belly & make burgers out of it.
Al

Question...When you combine Beef and Pork Belly or Smoked Bacon, do you cook the Burgers Well Done or a still pink 140ish Medium? I've been thinking about a 50/50 Burger but usually eat beef, Med Rare and was curious about how folks cook them...JJ

From here it looks like a Frozen Half of an Eye Round---About 3 pounds worth.

Bear

Note: You could Trim the bad stuff off, and make Dried Beef out of the Rest:
Here's how to do it with Eye Rounds:
Smoked Dried Beef #1

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Look like half an Eye Round. Yes it has Freezer Burn but that can be removed.
Unless you can Sous Vide the thing for 24 hours, it's a pretty tough cut of meat. It would probably be good cut in 1.5" chunks and smoked for Burnt Ends. As above, grinding it with 5 pounds of Fatty Chuck Roast would make great Burgers. In any event, I would make something rather than toss it. Even Soup, Stew, Chili or Barbacoa for Tacos...JJ
Thought I’d share the results. Came out pretty good, tender and juicy. Got a little too done, but was still good.

Attachments

• BB4289C3-8BDA-415E-AD6D-E0321DA00236.jpeg
    BB4289C3-8BDA-415E-AD6D-E0321DA00236.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 22
  • CAE298B2-7ECC-4266-A636-89B9616FEC32.jpeg
    CAE298B2-7ECC-4266-A636-89B9616FEC32.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 48E75B47-F79B-4E9A-A6C2-BBB24D01C9BD.jpeg
    48E75B47-F79B-4E9A-A6C2-BBB24D01C9BD.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 5DEA48CF-E6A3-4BBF-990B-219FD1F9599B.jpeg
    5DEA48CF-E6A3-4BBF-990B-219FD1F9599B.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 12
Thought I’d share the results. Came out pretty good, tender and juicy. Got a little too done, but was still good.

I should have mentioned that when making an Eye Round, using any method other than Sous Vide, the best thing to do is slice it paper thin, or as thin as possible.
Yours looks Great !!

Bear

Last edited:
All's Well that Ends Well. Glad to hear you got a good result. I'm too Poor to toss meat unless it is Stinking Rotten. I was taught to trim the nasty part. I can remember Grandma cutting Mold off of blocks of Government Cheese. The Woman let nothing go to waste...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky