What to cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

casetruck1

Original poster
Sep 7, 2022
So I am trying to decide if I want to do another cook this weekend? I hate to fire up the cooker for just me and my family. I guess I could have friends over to watch some football outside on projector but the UT game is not until 7. Weather is suppose to be good this weekend. I don't know if I want to be committed to hanging around house all day Saturday to cook. I have been thinking about throwing some chickens, a ham and a Boston butt or shoulder on. I saw that the shoulders were on sale this week at Food City. I have not cooked a shoulder yet. I could just be rambling and taking up useful space but anybody have suggestions?

Reactions: JLeonard
If you are having friends over for a game, ribs are always a good choice, they are easy enough and can be kept warm for a while if done early.

Some ideas if you aren't cooking for a large group:
  • Pork shoulder freezes very well after pulled, so always an option to cook a shoulder for pulled pork and freeze most of it.
  • Tri-tips run a couple of pounds only, so if it's just the family you'd have enough for dinner one day and a day or two of leftovers - a nice amount.
  • Depending on what your family does for meal prep for the week you can throw on a few pounds of chicken thighs or a whole bird or two to use in lunches throughout the week
Or some combination of all of those. A couple weeks ago I did a tri tip that we used for dinners and thighs that we used for lunches.

I dont have a vac sealer, could you get away with bagging and freezing chicken and pulled pork?

I dont have a vac sealer, could you get away with bagging and freezing chicken and pulled pork?
I'm sometimes lazy and wrap in a couple of layers of plastic wrap to get rid of the air, them put in a zip lock freezer bag, removing as much air as possible. Works for short term use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky