What thermometer to buy???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokesalot

Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Fargo, ND
I'm looking to buy a new meat thermometer for my Bradley Digitial Smoker.  I have heard that the Maverick ET 732 or 733 is the way to go.  The only problem is that they are darn expensive ($50-$75).  Does anyone have another dual probe/wireless thermometer that they like and is a little more economical?  Thanks for the feedback!

I think for the money you cant beat the maverick (if you are stuck on having a dual probe). I have a single probe maverick and the wireless range is pretty weak. I hear there is a Mod for it to extend the range but that is just not something I am into. I use that and a couple cheapos that I bought at a box store. I am really interested in trying the igrill mini, still only a single probe but a pretty cool little unit.

Okay now that I get to looking I am VERY interested in the IGrill2 - 4 probes baby!

Last edited:
ditto what coffee_junkie said....for the price i think maverick is your best bet. if you buy a cheap on from home depot your spending 20-25 bucks and you usually will get one probe. so you cannot monitor the meat and chamber temp at the same time. Also if your spending that much...for another 20-25 bucks you could get the maverick which is a proven thermometer by many members on here.

I have 2 and they are great! Todd, owner of A-Maze-N Products, is a member and sponsor of this forum and he always offers a sale on the Mavericks  on his site as well as free shipping! http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MAVET-732

if you message him he might even give you a code for 10% off. super nice guy

Don't be so cheap!
sausage.gif

It is well worth double the price! 732 is the way to go!

LOL... coffee_junkee, I just went and looked at the igrill and saw the igrill2 and thought the same thing.  Thanks, dougmays. I will be sure to check that out.  I'm thinking I should just go with the Maverick for now because, like you said, it is proven by many members.

Reactions: dougmays
Maverick would be my recommendation too. I have several but have also tried other brands. The Maverick has a long wireless range and has been totally reliable for me. One I would avoid like the plague is the Weber Style. I have had 2 and the battery life is almost non existent and the sender and receiver kept losing connection unless they were kept less than 6 feet apart.

I have a Maverick ET-73, but when the ET-732 came out, I semi-retired my ET-73.

The ET-732 has much better range.

Bear

I have 732 & the range is fantastic. Only thing is that the probe wire length is very short out of box...about 30". You can get a deal if you shop around. Got mine for $62 on Amazon. Keep an eye on A-Maze-N Products, Todd runs specials from time to time. He just had a -20% holiday sale.

IMO it is worth the $$ for a Maverick.

RG

I have two maverick 732 since I smoke fish using two Big Chief smokers at the same time and love them.  Very accurate.   I also have an igrill and think it's junk.  Very short range of signal strength.

You can also buy replacement probes for the Maverick, whereas the box store thermo becomes......... well, I have 2 of them in a drawer somewhere :(

The 732 comes with 6' long cables, more than enough. The 73 is stock with short ones. The extra $20 or so for the 732 over the 73 is well worth it. The 732 works so much better and is easier to operate!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky