What temp to set smoker for keeping bbq chickens warm?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
victorytea, I know the wrap-in-foil-and-towels-and drop-'em-in-a-cooler may sound a bit chancy if you've not done it before. I took a leap of faith and had 30 pounds of chicken leg quarters that I did for a party. While I've since also done it with whole chickens by double wrapping in foil and towels and into the cooler, the leg quarters were put into foil pans and covered with foil and stacked in the cooler with towels and a couple pieces of cardboard to stiffen the stack. After FOUR HOURS in the cooler, they were still too hot to hold in your bare hand. So it really is a decent method to hold meat. Look up (google) "Faux Cambro". It's a culinary term and this proven method has been around for a very long time.

That being said, and if it's still not an option you're comfortable with, and temp that's BELOW your final cooking temp (and above 140) should be fine. I've held in a heated box at 150 for poultry. You have 2 enemies when holding. If uncovered, you run the risk of drying out the meat. This is a function of time. So a shorter hold time is more desirable. If you COVER the meat, then your enemy is time as the longer it's wrapped and holding, the softer your skin or bark becomes. So again, a shorter hold time is more desirable. If you cover and hold you can flop them around on a hot grill just prior to serving to crisp up the outsides.

I have 2 masterbuilt 40" electric smokers that I use as warmers on a regular basis. I've had no problems. It keeps the butts out of the danger zone. I usually set the temperature at 155 or 160. Good Luck

I have 2 masterbuilt 40" electric smokers that I use as warmers on a regular basis. I've had no problems. It keeps the butts out of the danger zone. I usually set the temperature at 155 or 160. Good Luck

Good info, this thread is about 5 years old and the folks haven't been seen in a while, but someone will be able to utilize the info.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky