What should I build ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What should I build ?

• Stick Burner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stick Burner reverse flow

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Vertical smoker

• Vertical Offset smoker

• Else ?

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Romain

Original poster
Dec 30, 2018
Hello there,

I foresee to build a smoker in the coming weeks. I'm however totally lost on what I should build between :
  • Stick burner
  • Stick burner reverse-flow
  • Vertical smoker
  • Vertical offset smoker
  • A rotisserie (might be too complex though)
  • Else ?
My ultimate goal would be to start some catering business with it.

Note that I'm a Belgian guy and this kind of bbq is almost totally unknown in Belgium. Therefore, on one side, it might be an opportunity for me to propose such new concept here. On the other side, at this stage, I don't even know if there is niche market for this out there.

Therefore, my plan would be to keep the startup cost at a minimum (i.e. building the smoker is one of the solution for this) in order to educate people little by little. Then if a demand really pops, I might invest more to rationalize the workload...

In other words, I've of course read a lot of other threads on this subject and I understand a smoker like the Oyler Pit is great for a restaurant, but this is totally out of budget in my case.

Therefore I would be very happy to have your advice in this context. What would you do in such situation ?

PS: if I would open a catering business, my plan would be to feed approx 100 persons per event with 2 or 3 meats (eg brisket, pork ribs and pulled pork or sausage). I guess this might affect your advice.

Thank you very much for your help :-)

Romain

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky