What pellets do you buy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good to know.

What info is bunk? I don’t take any professional sites opinions on brands without a grain of salt, but as far as wood composition, that should all be true?

I've only tried Pit Boss Mesquite and B&B Pecan so far. The B&B was miles better for what that's worth. Just bought another bag of it last weekend. Thought about getting some hickory for more smoke but I liked the Pecan so much I just thought 'why mess with what works?' I did buy some of those Jack Daniels 'mellowing charcoal' pellets which I thought I might tryin the smoke tube or maybe even as a blend in the hopper. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Good to know.

What info is bunk? I don’t take any professional sites opinions on brands without a grain of salt, but as far as wood composition, that should all be true?

There were many things (too many to mention), but as soon as I came across this line I realized the article was complete BS:
"The Lumberjack BBQ Grilling Pellets have very minimal ash build up..."
Now I love Lumberjack and is mostly all I use, but anyone will tell you they leave MUCH more ash than other brands because they are not debarked - even the Lumberjack website will tell you that. So it's obvious the author has never used them and may not even own a pellet grill, so I really would not trust any of his other claims that he distilled from reading a few forum posts. He's not an expert on the subject matter.

How did he perform his analysis of "Pellets Favored by the Pros"? By reading a few forum posts. Then there's this bizarre line: "If you can, avoid standard pellets. These are made for wood stoves and use imitation flavors."
What? Why would a mfg add imitiation flavor to a wood stove pellet?

His claim that "High end cooking pellets, such as BBQ Delight, offer that same flavor wood taste at a more affordable price point. " is false. BBQ Delight are good pellets, but you're not going to get the same flavor from a pellet that has only 30% flavor wood as 100%.

The article does more to confuse than clarify with so many misleading statements and the references to "professionals" are a joke. Who are these so called professionals?

The whole point of the article can be summed up towards then end when the author states "The time’s come to finally click the buy button" which of course are littered throughout the page.

FAKE REVIEW

I used to use Traeger pellets when I first got my Traeger smoker. After a while I decided I no longer wanted to pay extra for the traeger name, so I tried some others. I settled on Bear Mt, since I can get them at the same place I buy my meat (Cash and Carry). I now have a GMG Daniel Boone and still use Bear Mt pellets. My wife notices the taste more than I do, but I think all the "flavors" give a decent smoke taste.
As far as everything goes, the one thing I did notice right off, is that they do leave a fair amount of ash, and the smoker needs to be vacuumed out a little more.
Depending on what I am smoking I have used:
Washington Apple - Pork ribs, pulled pork
Sweet Cherry - Pork ribs, pulled pork
Smokehouse Maple - Chicken, Turkey
Hickory - Ham, bacon, Canadian Bacon
Mesquite - Brisket, most Beef
Alder - Fish (pretty much any kind)
If I want high heat for grilling which I don't do very often anyways, I use Oak.
Having a hopper dump definitely helps with the switching around (didn't have one on my old Traeger)

You can also search Craig’s List for local dealers.

The Lumberjack website also has a search for local dealers.

I used Pit Boss Hickory yesterday and could taste almost no smoke. I think that one is a 40/60 blend of hickory and maple.

+1; Did some PP with them and they were definitely mild. Also weird is that I had to load the AMNPS tray 3x and kept burning way too fast. I bet they mix with alder which is softer.

i was using GMG pellets on my daniel boone nd they were causing my auger to struggle and grind really bad. Switched to cabelas brand and so far no isues . Clean and easy feed through auger no more jackhammer noise

+1; Did some PP with them and they were definitely mild. Also weird is that I had to load the AMNPS tray 3x and kept burning way too fast. I bet they mix with alder which is softer.

I use Hickory Pellets 90% of the time in my AMNPS, and get about 11 hours of nice Smoke, but I get all my Pellets & Dust from Todd @ Amazing Smoker.

Bear

Lumber Jack Competition Blend for my Pellet Pooper, and Traeger Apple that I turn into dust for cold smoking.

5 , are the Traeger Apple 100% Apple do you know? My Lumberjack dealer only has Apple blend now. They do carry traeger also.

5 , are the Traeger Apple 100% Apple do you know? My Lumberjack dealer only has Apple blend now. They do carry traeger also.

With the possible exception of oak, I don't believe Traeger makes any 100% flavor wood pellets.

Traeger claims it's 100%, but a lot of people say that's not true. My local Home Depot carries them, so it's pretty convenient when I need them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky