What odd flavors have you used on cheese??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jojo22

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Canton Ohio
I currently am trying some cherry smoke on aged swiss, sharp cheddar and some colby jack! Thought I would try something that might be a little different! So anyone else try things out of the box??

How are you smoking it?  What process are you using and what temps ?

I have used old wine barrel and old whisky barrel along with pecan, maple, orange and apple

I use Apple, Maple and Cherry

Fruitwoods seems to work better for me.

Hickory can have a little too much bite for me, but it's your cheese, try something different.

To really appreciate the flavor, you're gonna have to wrap it up and tuck it away in the fridge for 10 days or more, so the smoke can mellow and sink into the cheese.

Todd

I used a cardboard box, tin can, and a soldering iron, temp stayed 72 to 80 I would think (swiss didn't melt) but I didn't have a probe in, just peeked in the vent from time to time. I let it smoke for about 4 hours, having to re-load my can once!

TJohnson, thanks for the tip about the waiting, now I know I can dip into it at 10 days to test!! 

I tried to post a qview, but for some reason the "insert image" button would not do what it says, so I don't know what to do to post pics!

A while back I did a test run with three types of sawdust from Todd and a number of types of cheese.  I had wine barrel oak, whiskey barrel oak and peach.  To tell the truth, the differences between them were subtle at best, at least to my taste buds.  Much more difference in the types of cheeses.   Colby Jack, sharp cheddar and jalapeno jack were all excellent.  Mozzarella was our least favorite.

I like a good aged Swiss, but somehow don't think I'd like it smoked.  Ditto on a very sharp cheddar (e.g. 5+ years old).  For both of them, I'd rather just savor the natural flavor.

I used a cardboard box, tin can, and a soldering iron, temp stayed 72 to 80 I would think (swiss didn't melt) but I didn't have a probe in, just peeked in the vent from time to time. I let it smoke for about 4 hours, having to re-load my can once!

TJohnson, thanks for the tip about the waiting, now I know I can dip into it at 10 days to test!! 

I tried to post a qview, but for some reason the "insert image" button would not do what it says, so I don't know what to do to post pics!
Yes the waiting is the hard part. The one cheese you can eat right away is fresh mozzarella and it is awesome smoked

Cool some mozza may be on there tomorrow, however I must admit, neither I nor the wife could wait, we tested the aged swiss, and I must say if it gets better with age I CAN"T WAIT!!! It was really good!

A while back I did a test run with three types of sawdust from Todd and a number of types of cheese.  I had wine barrel oak, whiskey barrel oak and peach.  To tell the truth, the differences between them were subtle at best, at least to my taste buds.  Much more difference in the types of cheeses.   Colby Jack, sharp cheddar and jalapeno jack were all excellent.  Mozzarella was our least favorite.

I like a good aged Swiss, but somehow don't think I'd like it smoked.  Ditto on a very sharp cheddar (e.g. 5+ years old).  For both of them, I'd rather just savor the natural flavor.

HUH?? Have to give it a go with some different types of wood and see if I can tell the difference!! Might make a good project some Sunday!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky