What makes a food-grade bucket a food-grade bucket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Stop by and check the bakery department at your local grocery stores they usually have empty icing buckets they'll part with free. 

I've hunted everywhere for zip-locks larger than the gallon size and I haven't found them yet either.  

icon_cool.gif

I guess that none of you are coming over to my house and eat turkey or any of my corned beefs or pastrami. Cause I (being an old drywall dude) use an old drywall bucket that has been cleaned out and bleached out too. I have been using it for alot of things and I have an extra refrig that will hold he bucket and alot of those wally waters that we drink to. Sp I hope its food safe because it sure hasn't breed any flesh eating disease for my belly hasn't stopped growing in a while now
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

What gives? I can only do one quote at a time??
Its because of all the dry-wall mud particles he has consumed from those contaminated buckets. LOL 

But on an honest note, you just have to copy and paste in to a quote box like the old days. Or even hit the multi quote tab, but that never works right for me.

I think the bad bucket thing sounds better tho.

P.S. When we brine we use drinking water coolers and ice them instead of putting them in the frig.

I have a designated cooler for big birds. I only do a 20 pounder but could easily brine 2 of him/her. Thinking about a cured bird this year.

i purchased a new 5 gallon bucket never been used by anyone.

from what im readying this is still not good enough? it is used only for

brining nothing else. good lord dont let my wife see this one she will

come unglued thinking im trying to poison her.
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif

If you have a WinCo foods near ya they sell the buckets - they are stacked up near the produce section.

Has anyone thought of using the turkey oven bag to brine in? I have a big stock pot but was thinking about trying one of those bags since they are everywhere this time of year

IF you want to find food grade 5 gallon buckets the best place for used ones is McDonald's.  They get their pickles in them and they usually have a ton of them.  You wouldn't even have to worry about the pickle smell because you will be putting a pickle brine back into them...

IF you want to find food grade 5 gallon buckets the best place for used ones is McDonald's.  They get their pickles in them and they usually have a ton of them.  You wouldn't even have to worry about the pickle smell because you will be putting a pickle brine back into them...

Another great place is the local Dairy Queen.  They use 5 gallon buckets for strawberries and various other sizes for the buttercream in cake decorating.  4, 3, 2 & 1 gallon.

Bakeries and/or restaurants are a good source.

Dean - Check out Target. The one here in Winston carries the large ziploc bags up to 20 gal.
Stop by and check the bakery department at your local grocery stores they usually have empty icing buckets they'll part with free. 

I've hunted everywhere for zip-locks larger than the gallon size and I haven't found them yet either.  

Yeah... I did that. ONCE.

Apparently, I did not have the bag sealed/tied tight enough or whatever, and it leaked raw turkey juice and brine ALL OVER my 2nd fridge. Leaked so bad the top of the bird dried out. It was not *The Thanksgiving Bird* but I was still pretty pissed (at myself) and needed to go buy a spiral ham to serve instead.

The issues I had with sealing were what drove me to start using the XXL Ziplocs.

I guess my point is: Yes. You could do that. Don't be dumb like me though!! :)

Cheers!

-Princess

If you have a WinCo foods near ya they sell the buckets - they are stacked up near the produce section.

Has anyone thought of using the turkey oven bag to brine in? I have a big stock pot but was thinking about trying one of those bags since they are everywhere this time of year

The bags seem like a good idea and you could always place the bagged meat in a bucket to avoid spills.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky