1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

what makes a 40" (or 30") smoker a 40" or 30"?

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by solman, Jan 10, 2019.

1. solman

solman Smoke Blower

i have a masterbuilt 40-inch propane smoker from cabelas, and i've measured every dimension of the smoker and can not find how they came up with "40-inch". it's 24-inch wide, 16-inch depth, racks are similarly sized but obviously a bit smaller to fit inside. it's definitely not 40-inch tall. the closest i can figure is 24 + 16, the width and depth of the body. does it make sense to call a smoker 40-inch based on width+length? or how did they come up with 40-inch?

here is their advertised dimensions: 43.50"H x 29.13"W x 22.44"D. the width and depth are measured at the base of the feet, which is wider than the body.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    zwiller likes this.
  2. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

There is no common definition, but typically it's an approximation of the height from the ground to the top of the smoker (for vertical smokers anyways). Doesn't really have anything to do with the volume of the smoke chamber it self.

3. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The main difference between the 30" and 40" is you don't have to trim a rack of ribs to fit the 40" where as you do for the 30" in my book. I do have the 40" Master Built.

Warren

4. solman

solman Smoke Blower

then they should advertise the 40-inch as "a one rib wide smoker" and a 30-inch as a "3/4 rib wide smoker" so people can better understand. if they're advertising approximate height, then that makes absolutely no sense at all. i would think people care more about how wide/deep it is than height.

5. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

LIKE for asking, never understood either... Maybe measured like a TV and diagonal? LOL I agree with Warren. Whole rack/brisket 40 though.

6. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

I never actually measured any of mine that I can remember.

But I would say the difference between an MES 30 and an MES 40 is approximately 10".
    And I would guess the MES 30 is closer to 30" than it is 20" or 40" high.
    And I would also guess the MES 40 is closer to 40" than it is to 30" or 50" high.

I never even saw a "Masterbuilt 40" Propane Smoker" up close, but I'd venture to guess it's closer to 40" high than it is to 30" or 50" high.

It would look pretty stupid to call an MES 40---An "MES 41 & 7/16" or an "MES 39 & 27/32"

My 2 cents,

Bear

7. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The rack size does determine the size of the smoker as well as 40" is 4" bigger than 36" on my tape measure. :emoji_laughing:

Warren

8. Murdy

Murdy Newbie

"It would look pretty stupid to call an MES 40---An "MES 41 & 7/16" or an "MES 39 & 27/32" "

I'd be willing to bet the nominal size, with just about any manufacturer, is larger than the actual size. Border-line fraud, but they've been getting away with selling 2x4's that are 1 3/4 by 3 1/2 forever.

9. solman

solman Smoke Blower

my "40-inch" masterbuilt is exactly 24" wide. they could've just called it a "24-inch propane smoker" and it wouldn't look stupid at all. "40-inch" makes absolutely no sense at all, and is completely stupid.

Murdy likes this.
  10. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

If I remember correctly my Dodge Ram with an 8' Bed, actually had a 98" Bed.

"Reverse--Fraud"??

Bear