What is the way to slice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmebey

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I'm new at making jerky using solid meat and not ground. For my first batch I ended up with different thickness...UGH.

What is the best way to get consistent thickness?

I usually put it in the freezer til it gets pretty stiff. Seems to slice pretty easy from there.

I do the same when I need to cut bacon.

I like to put it in the freezer to stiffen it up a bit, Too.. even tho I use a slicer.

You can get cheap slicers that work pretty well I had an old nesco/american harves  one for many years...till the plastic gears wore out

They really take alot of the work out of making Jerky

putting it in the freezer to stiffen up the meat helps alot.  I always use  a slicer.  I had an old one that was mostly made of plastic but just recently got one off craigslist that was all metal pretty cheep.  the electric slicer makes it sooooo much easier.

I use the freezer method also. Sometime's I use a knife and sometimes the meat slicer, I'm not really consistent any day of the week.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm usually still in the thaw process when I go to slice, so it's softer on the outside than in the center. Use a freshly straightened chef's knife (I put a steel to every knife, every time I start a new cutting/carving project). The deeper blade of a chef's knife helps in making straighter cuts through thick pieces of meat. especially when partially froxen...a carving knife tends to wander more in my hands.

I've seen those jerky slicing boards, but never felt it was necessary. I'll have some slices which are a bit thicker and they go into my known hot spots in the smoker, so they'll be dried about the same time as the average slices. Inconsistencies in thickness are not any reason for concern if you use them to your advantage. Also, inconsistent thickness in jerky gives you a slightly varied chew and texture...you never know what you'll like the best if you don't try new things. I made some beef-steak style jerky a few months back (3/8" thick slices, cut free-hand) and I thought that it was the best batch of whole muscle jerky I had made thus far. When you hefted a slice of that jerky and took a bite, you knew it was going to last.

I use the freezer method also. Sometime's I use a knife and sometimes the meat slicer, I'm not really consistent any day of the week.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Hey, brother, that's what keeps things more interesting, IMO.

Eric

icon_cool.gif

Now thats the way I slice everything that needs to be sliced really thin.

Do you have a slicer or are you slicing them by hand? A meat slicer is the way to go and you can get them for a pretty descent price. Like the others said if it is slightly frozen it will slice like a dream.

Partially Frozen

very sharp knife

manual slicer

63015241_jerkyslicer.jpg

you can make one yourself fairly easy

manual crank slicer

1f7f5dc0_make_homemade_jerky.jpg

or  an electric slicer if you plan on making a lot of jerky in the future.

361e4bb8_2962773950041211880S600x600Q85.jpg

4d604dcb_2279260410041211880S600x600Q85.jpg

SQWIB,

I like the idea of a meat slice. Thanks for the pics.

Gerald

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky