What is best for slicing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 21, 2006
Western Kansas
Sprayer is broke down, guys won't be here till Friday to fix it. Wifes family is have'n a big Easter lunch on Saturday. Told my wife I could smoke something today.

They want some sliced pork. I've never done "sliced" pork, always pulled pork. What cut is best to slice? Boston butt? Shoulder? I don't know for sure. I was thinking shoulder/picnic(same aren't they?), and take'n it to about 185*, resting, then slicing. Won't be able to brine, just put some rub on and throw it on the smoker. I'll probably do a pulled butt too.

Any help appreciated
Thanks

I like slicing the butt ..........but not until the next day!!

Also, I let that temp get up to 200 and then let it rest!!

Thanks gypc! Wife is in town, gonna have her get me two butts and a shoulder. Will be plenty of food for everyone to take some home. A big plus is that I won't have to slice it, I'll be busy tomorrow and she'll have to slice it.

Thanks again! Have a happy Easter.

How about a pork loin BigAl? Makes for some tasty stuff... add Dutch's Mohogany Sauce to it.. MMMMmmmm. Might be too late now, but you should give it a shot.

Keep Smokin

Al,
Another way to go might be to smoke a pork loin or 2 and maybe make Dutch’s Mahogany Sauce (fine eating) remember that pork butts gonna taste like a big juicy fat pork chop not ham. I did a butt to slice a few weeks ago for hot roast pork sammiches & gravy, but the wife & grandkids are real lean meat freaks…so needless to say I vacuum sealed alot of smoked pork…(I just hate having succulent hot roast pork sammiches w/smashed taters & gravy in 20 minutes, or maybe pork Schezuan, don’t you?)
icon_redface.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

I guess that would be alright. Gotta sweet talk Mrs. Meowey into letting me slice one. She hears pork butt and automatically thinks pulled pork sammies. (That's really not such a bad thing, though!)

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Gotta go with the loin for slicing. Slices real nice and can't be beat. Throw in the sauce and it eats good on a plate or sammie. Since it's the Easter thing I'd say on a plate will be the setup.
Dang! Now I gotta go get a loin and clean up the ECB.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

Ok, read all the feedback, great ideas. Here's my prob. Over the years I have smoked so many porkloins that it makes me sick to even think about it. I'm porkloined out, so is the wife & kids.

I'm also wanting something just a little different. Never sliced butt before, I always pull it. I only have today, as fri & sat will be working..........I hope anyway, as long as sprayer gets fixed. Meal is set for sat lunch. Didn't have time to "prepare" for this as I planned on working and take'n sunday off. So it's a hurry up and wait type of thing.

Some time I need to try a loin brined w/some of those fancy sauces, but for today it's just get it done.

I'll let you all know how they like it.

Have a Happy Easter!

Pork loined out eh Big Al, I can understand that, good luck to you and I hope you and yours have a great Easter.
icon_smile.gif

This will be a BIG test. I'll ask wife to take pics after she slices. If anything I'll let you all know how it goes over.

I've done slice pork butt before AL and it rocked
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
I get to the point where I can twist the bone out and then pull the bone and wrap the butt tight in foil. Let it cool down as much as you feel comfortable with and slice it about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick. I took one of those and a smoked turkey to deer camp on the day after thanksgiving a couple of years back and no one would touch the turkey.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Nope. Just somethin' sliced for Easter lunch(on saturday). May not be the best idea, but the people I'm smoke'n for will take anything free..................they'd even take a disease if it were free.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

Usually anything smoked is good anyway. I do want it to be nice for them. I have 2 butts and a brisket flat on the smoker. I really don't know how the flat will turn out, I don't like smoke'n flats as whole packers(10-14#) are best.

BigAl -

I do alot of pork shoulders/pinics because there always in the store and about as cheap as it gets here.

I do it just like a pulled pork but just pull it when it gets to about 175 degrees and wrap it to rest. Just finished last weekends roast pork shoulder and it was yummy! Slice it like a ham. There's instruction on my site ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky