What have you given up?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 21, 2006
Western Kansas
Wondering what eveyone has given up to keep/support this hobby.

I used to hunt(alot), reload shells for trap shooting, fly rc airplanes, and make wife happy. Now I smoke meat.

Anybody else drop a hobby to keep this one?

Just a Saturday wonder'n mind.

Couldn't agree w/you more Fish. Hunting, fly'n took me from home/work. This keeps me w/kids and they all really do like it. I gotta say I've actually lost weight due to smoke'n. I do nothing but drink and eat meat.........it's the SMF diet. Choloresteral means nothing, its all about if the wranglers fit after they come out of the drier/clothes line. Scales are for women.
wink.gif

Started smoking meat instead of cigarettes april 15th of 2006. Probably spent more on meat than I would have on 3 packs of Marlboro reds a day :P Cardiologist likes this better though.

Now shes bitching about the beer :roll:

Ok Al Im letting my wife answer this one here she is be prepared.

In all honesty after the smoker was builted we gave up nothing. BUT the six months it took to get it up and going I yes I gave up sex , beer and rock and roll but damn what a come back.

i can honestly say i have done more since i started smoking. i eat healther, study more (yea im in skhole), and do more aroud the house (cleaning and such). i read more now, cut the grass more (gotta have something to do inbetween adding fuel), call old friends and family just to say hi, look for better ways to cook, look for better ways to smoke, pay more attention to my dog, and look for other things to do while smoking. tai che is looking good right now.

the only thing i can think of that i gave up is my friends. for some reason no one wants to hang out while im, or after, im done smoking. i dont care really, more for me. i can have a smoke last weeks/months.

the only thing ive given up with this smoking way of life is,---
shelf space for books-grinders- stuffers-seasonings-wood chips..

to most ,that may not seem like much..
but we live in a effiency apartment.

my honey is one of them picky -funny eaters...
she seems to really like the meats....

sometimes i do wonder,
if she doesnt have me smoke some things to get me
away from disturbing her soap operas...

she especially likes "the young and the useless"

I have given up several hobbies. But I don't consider them sacrifices. I consider it evolving. Many of my hobbies were just that. My hobbies. This hobby involves the whole family. Either by helping to prepare it or by eating it. My little girl loves to bring the firewood from my truck to the smoker. She always says "Daddy, am I helping." Everyone pitches in when it's time to cut wood or split wood. My Son likes to split. Makes him feel tough when he splits a big one with one whack.
I still hunt and fish, just not as much. I always keep my hunting skills honed though, by either shooting my bow or firearms while smoking. Just feels right to do it while smoking.

Good Answer Marvins wife!

I can't hink of anything I've given up but time - but for that I've gotten a ton of wonderful friends here at SMF - the price is worth it!

Yep rodger she is a pretty good ol gal guess she has to be to put up with me lol.

Randy the general sleeps in the driveway with a lock on the tounge and the wheels chained, my truck parked in front of it. To big to get in the garage.

Gunslinger on the weekends I get my daughter she likes to help with the cooking also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky