What happened? One year old smoked cheese boring

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 30, 2018
Grande Cache Alberta
Finally was able to age my smoked cheese for one year, opened the 3 packs this week and virtually zero smoke flavour. Usually when opening the vacuum sealed pack I’ll get that nice smell of smoke, this time nothing. Taste test, I could barely taste any smoke. The cheese in question was a no name brand, cheddar, Monterrey Jack and one Havairty. Smoked 4 hours with pellet dust(Hickory) in a tube smoker. Cabinet temperature was 60F constant(PID). I did a batch yesterday and left 2 pieces in for 8 hours, unfortunately I won’t find out if doubling the smoke time will solve my long term storage issue. The cheese itself was fine, just minimal smoke flavour. Between my adult kids and grandkids any stash of smoked cheese I have never lasts a year so this is the first time I’ve been able to age cheese for 1 year. What happened to the smoke?

I would say lighter smoke + longer mellowing time = less smoke flavor. I normally go 2 to 3 hours and can pretty much eat it right away. I don't remember any recently smoked cheese going more than a couple of months before it's devoured. Someone should chime in soon with better info.

Chris

I smoke mine 2-3 times at 4 hr intervals. At a year in the frig they are still plenty smoky. The key is cold smoke around 70* so pores on the cheese open up then when refrigerated pores close up and lock the smoke in.....at least that has been my experience. I dont feel you can "oversmoke" cheese unless you are using mesquite wood or something like that. Try using corn cobs some time. It works good too. my preference on cheese is Alder as it is mild but has depth to it for cheese and fish. My 2 cents............Happy New Year !

HT

Reactions: gmc2003
I smoke mine 2-3 times at 4 hr intervals. At a year in the frig they are still plenty smoky. The key is cold smoke around 70* so pores on the cheese open up then when refrigerated pores close up and lock the smoke in.....at least that has been my experience. I dont feel you can "oversmoke" cheese unless you are using mesquite wood or something like that. Try using corn cobs some time. It works good too. my preference on cheese is Alder as it is mild but has depth to it for cheese and fish. My 2 cents............Happy New Year !

HT
So smoking when it's -1° is probably out? lol!

I would say lighter smoke + longer mellowing time = less smoke flavor. I normally go 2 to 3 hours and can pretty much eat it right away. I don't remember any recently smoked cheese going more than a couple of months before it's devoured. Someone should chime in soon with better info.

Chris
2-3 isn’t enough for our tastes. We’re in the 4-5 hour range. Personal taste.

Reactions: evilpsych

HT
Will see how 8 hours of smoke taste in a year from now. I moved the 2 pieces from the beer fridge to the kitchen fridge, less chance of the adult kids finding it. I tasted a small corner, didn’t taste any cheese just smoke.

Will see how 8 hours of smoke taste in a year from now. I moved the 2 pieces from the beer fridge to the kitchen fridge, less chance of the adult kids finding it. I tasted a small corner, didn’t taste any cheese just smoke.
I opened a pack of 3 year old pepper jack and it had very little to no smoke flavor. I will say it was the hottest pepper jack I've ever had! It apparently picked up a ton of heat as it aged? It tasted great as long as you like hot stuff

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky