what do you think will happen ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
this morning we stuffed some smoked sausage and i put them in the smoker but today the outside temp is near 100
and i have been having trouble keeping smoker low enough, so i decided to try something kinda crazy, i kept 2 sausage links out ( still raw ) and put them in the freezer,
Tuesday i plan on taking them out and while still frozen put them in the smoker and smoke them...what do you think will happen ?
my thinking is maybe i can smoke them at a higher temp

well i told you it was a crazy idea but its only 2 links . what if i leave them in longer ?

i'm just doing something that i know is a little on the crazy side and asking people to guess what they think will happen ,in this case i have no idea how it will turn out. just something different to have a little fun with

My opinion is it's not guess work, it's a experiment. Looking forward to how it turns out.

let me clairify the purpose of this thread
i was never seeking advise , i am doing this regardess of the out come , i just thought it would be fun for folks to guess what they think the out come will be
a fun little thread nothing more

Some of us are not guessing. We are telling you what will happen. Like TNJake said, there is a lot of real world experience on this forum, from people that have been there and done that.

Instead why not put some alum trays full of ice in the smoker?
scholtz, that may be somewhat effective when hot smoking, but cal is trying to cold smoke.....in summer....LOL! Ice won't work when cold smoking because what you need is a lower ambient temp. so the chamber is hotter than the ambient air, otherwise you will have no draft...and you will get creosote. Only way to effectively cold smoke in summer is to cool the intake air and use fans on controllers for artificial draft....you won't get a natural draft.

This is why most everyone cold smokes in the Winter.

fresh off the smoker

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 13
Not a sausage story.... but once upon a time Mother nature threw me a curve ball the week I was planning on cold smoking some bacon. Daytime temps were reaching into the upper 80's. My solution was to light my pellet tube at midnight and let it run until it burned out by 7am. Then I moved the bacon into the fridge until the next night, and put another 6 or 7 hours of smoke on it.

granted that last sunday i got a late start on smoking my sausage ( started about 11 am ) but what some fail to consider is where i live , i live at an elevation of 6,700 feet above sea level even this time of year early mornings can be in the mid-low 50s
i started smoking this morning at 6:30

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky