What Cut of Brisket is This?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

btircuit

Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
I was at Costco today and picked up a 7.5 lbs brisket but the labeling didn't say if it was a flat or a packer.

Gonna smoke it tomorrow. Wish me luck my first one about 4 yrs ago was a bomb... I think it was a flat with no fat (dried out and tough).
07f96d39_vbattach21011.jpg

e83b19ba_vbattach21012.jpg

d2435748_vbattach21013.jpg

I believe you have a packer. Every packer i have got, never said packer on it's labeling,just Brisket or Whole brisket, Flats typcally will we labeled as to what they are also

I could be wrong here... not an expert.... but it looks like you have the whole packer..... flat and point. When you buy a corned beef brisket it will tell you flat or point. I've never bought anything but a whole packer if it hasn't been corned.

That's a whole packer with a bit of the tip cut off. Has some nice fat on it, should smoke up real good! Before you eat it grab a pic or two!

Pops §§

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that is a flat w/ point removed. I don't see anything looking like the point, but I do see where it looks like the point was removed. Either way, it should make for some good eats.

Its a small packer for sure. and it looks like some of the point has been removed. It has a nice layer of fat on the underside but the top has been trimmed a lot. That beauty will cook up real nice.

James is right it is a flat with point removed.
The third picture where it tapers to the right is where the point would have been.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky